Wednesday, October 2, 2013

New Month, New Plans, New Approach

Normally I do a tally at the end of each month.  I haven't done a Sept tally yet and I might skip it all together. Not that I have anything against a tally, but I'm really trying to look forward right now rather than look back.

Husband & I are leaning toward doing a metric century that will be 4 weeks from Saturday.  I haven't been riding much, so I need to figure out how to get from zero to 64 in 4 weekends.  Catch:  Husband will be out of town for the first two weekends, so I'll need to ride alone on my long rides.

Here's what I'm thinking.

  • Get in 2 mid-week rides.  Somewhere between 8 and 16 miles.  Don't sweat so much about how far, just be sure to get on the bike
  • Get in one weekend ride.  Aim for a progression:  25, 35, 45...yes the next one would be a big jump to 64, but that's okay!
Granted, this may not be the most sound approach, but it beats what I would otherwise be doing for sure:  sit on the couch until event day and attempt 64 miles with no training at all.  LOL.

In addition, I'm going to try to run 3 times a week.  It's okay if the runs are short and slow, I just need some consistency with my cardio base building.  It will help me get through the bike rides.  

One of the biggest hurdles is mental.  There is a part of me that doesn't believe I can do it.  That part is a liar!  I can do it.  I WILL do it!

How I'm doing so far:  Ran Monday: 4.0 slow miles.  Rode yesterday, 8.2 miles.  I'm calling that a successful start.  

Oh, and I'm still wearing the pedometer and trying to get to an average of 12K steps per day.  Running obviously increases step count and I get to add in cycling minutes to convert to step-equivalents so tracking the steps helps hold me accountable.  GAME ON!!

5 comments:

  1. Best of luck with training! I agree with you, then mental barriers are tough but necessary to break through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do this!!! Just take it one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete