Tuesday, July 16, 2013

On having a good day

I told my husband this morning that I was determined to have a good day. Within two hours, things weren't going as well as I hoped and I told him it wasn't working.  He quickly reminded me "but you said you were DETERMINED to have a good day.  So do it."

Which brings me to a very important point: what happens to someone is not within their control, but how they respond to it is.  Or as the wise Abraham Lincoln once said "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

This is relevant to how we respond to our workouts as well. Lots of time I hear people talk about how they had a bad run or a bad swim or a bad day at the gym.  Maybe it was a race, maybe it was a training event, but somehow they judge their performance as not up to par and end up unhappy.

I think it's important to remember that even a "bad" experience can have good results.  Sometimes the bad experience is rich with learnings for the future. Sometimes getting out the door is an achievement in itself.  Sometimes a run isn't up to performance expectations due to a pending injury and listening to your body is just what you need to prevent a significant injury.

I hope everyone who reads this will choose to have a good day today. :-)

8 comments:

  1. You learn the most from failure. Find the opportunity in everything, good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I could be happier. I do tend to focus on the negative side of things before I think of the positive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! We are in plumbing he** here today with our driveway being dug up to get to a pipe. It'll be $$$$ but this too shall pass right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vet very true! It's all in our own perspectives! Great post!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post! I always try my best to have a good day every day. Positive thinking is my good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Love it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My own (and only) coined expression: Perception is a product of perspective. My kids are sick of hearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soo true!! When I get frustarted I ask myself: will this make a difference a year from now? If not, try to forget about it and not to worry.

    ReplyDelete