Wednesday, November 22, 2006


I hope everyone has a happy and safe Thanksgiving. We're going to leave in about an hour to drive up to Colorado (yikes! i need to pack).

I can't get the story of the tortoise and the hare out of my head, so I will leave you with a few parting thoughts.

In many ways I can relate to the tortoise. I'm by no means the fastest one out there when I race or train. As I don't give up, I have lots of opportunity to 'win' on my own terms. I consider every PR a win. And the includes every first time that you try something (new distance, new sport).

So my version of Tortoise and the Hare is slightly different, because the Tortoise got out there and gave it his best effort :

There once was a speedy hare who bragged about how fast he could run. Tired of hearing him boast, Slow and Steady, the tortoise, challenged Hare and ran his first race.

Hare ran down the road for a while and then and paused to rest. He looked back at Slow and Steady and mocked him, "How could you think you could win a race when you trod along at your slow, slow pace?"

Slow and Steady continued on and on. He never, ever quit until he came to the finish line. The animals who were watching cheered loudly for Tortoise.


"No need to brag about your lightning pace, for Slow and Steady won his race!"

2 comments:

  1. I always say, after 3rd place everybody gets the same t-shirt anyway. Especially those long endurance events it's all about how you finish.

    ps. Just my 2 cents on the treadmill. I use it all the time. Just run at 1% grade and add approx 7 seconds to the pace to simulate outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have fun in Colorado - I just got back - we got a day of skiing in - don't know if that's in your plans or not.

    Treadmills are tricky things - I had a lot of problems with my calves when I started running earlier this year and was doing a lot of work on treadmills (I didn't feel comfortable on the street with my slow pace and 2 mile range!). I think the treadmills can be a good workout for most of your legs, but I don't think it works your calves as much as hitting the street. Since July/August I've been almost exclusively on the street and off the treadmills and my problems with my calves cleared up (except the skiing last week).

    ReplyDelete