Thursday, December 5, 2013

Symptom Checker Challenged

I woke up feeling pretty lousy this morning and decided to stay home from work. I've been drinking tea, loading up on vitamin C, and resting to try to fight it off.  Actually, I knew something was wrong when I found myself tossing and turning at 1 am unable to sleep due to sore throat and congestion.
This is how I'm spending the day, but I look like death warmed over and this person looks pretty good. So not fair!
I'm trying to figure out if it's just a cold or something worse. As I'm working through it I realized that I'm a little unclear about my symptoms.  Does this happen to anyone else or am I the only one who is symptom checker challenged?
  • Sore Throat - This one is easy, I'm pretty sure it's caused by whatever lurgy has decided to infect my body. 
  • Congestion - Also easy, definitely a symptom.  
  • Chills - The first one that has me confused. Yes, I have experienced chills. But I'm not sure if it caused by this cold or whatever or is it caused by the fact that it's overcast & snowing and I'm still wearing pajamas rather than warm clothes. The house always feels colder when the sun isn't shining. I was thinking that maybe I might have a fever, but I can't find the thermometer to check it out.  Gah! 
  • Headache - Another confusing one. I didn't have a headache when I woke up, but I do now. But, I also decided to make white tea instead of coffee this morning because of the sore throat. And white tea has a lot less caffeine than coffee. Is it simply a caffeine withdrawal thing or a symptom? I'm honestly not sure...
  • Body Ache - Yes, I'm experiencing body ache. Yes, this is common with flu-type things. However, I was also tossing and turning last night. Could it just be from that? Ugh. Why is this so hard to figure out?!?!
So there you have it.  I am out sick with sore throat and congestion and may or may not be experiencing associated headache, body ache, and/or chills.  Seriously, I think sometimes these things only happen to me...

9 comments:

  1. I hope it's not the flu. I've seen a few cases of that already. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in college I started getting tonsil infections monthly, no shit, every single month. And it didn't end until 2008 when I had them taken out finally. That was 5 years of monthly infections. Worst time ever with using sick time at work.
    Anyways, that really had nothing to do with you feeling gross, I hope you feel better soon!! I need you to inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figure that if I'm fairly functional it's probably just a cold. But if I feel like I've been hit by a sledgehammer and can't get out of bed then it's the flu. I hope yours is just a cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel better. Ginger ale and coffee ice cream does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. worst thing about working from home, I still work on sick days!!! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better soon! My dad was sick over Thanksgiving with similar symptoms. It took several days, but he's finally feeling better. Hope you were able to rest yesterday and today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very much relate! I so dislike being sick - as well all do I know - that I get unhelpfully focused on symptoms and lose track of what is just 'normal' and what might be part of whatever the illness is. I hope that in your case, everything reduces quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear. I hope you feel better soon.
    When I feel like you, I stay inside the bed for days....

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh no, I hope you feel much better by now!!

    ReplyDelete