Saturday, August 22, 2009

Eight Weeks 'til Duke City

This time last year, I ran my last long run in preparation for Chips-n-Salsa Half Marathon and began experiencing pain in my left knee.

When race day came two weeks later, I DNF'd. It was disappointing to end up at urgent care rather than the finish line. I eventually learned that I was experiencing PFS (PatellaFemoral Syndrome) in my left knee which required several months of treatment.

There are days when I question whether I'll ever be able to run that far without the same problems. I certainly hope for a different outcome this year when I attempt the half marathon at Duke City, but you never really know. Without a doubt, I will walk away if I need to, but until then I'm giving it my best shot.

Couldn't help but smile as Toby Lightman's "Don't Let Go" came on my ipod while out on the trail this morning:

"Don't question me about what I need
I'll fill you in
When I'm ready for it
If you don't let me take my time
Nothing's gonna feel right
I won't forget to tell you when
I'm gonna tell you when it's over
but it's *not* over yet.."


Seven miles accomplished, no pain. My training schedule calls for nine miles next weekend.

"You'll be the first to know when I'm done
Hate to say but I've just begun
Don't lay low
Boy you better keep listening cause
I'm gonna tell you when it's over
but it's *not* over yet..."

18 comments:

  1. I hate injuries. What is PSF?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I am an idiot, that is what I'm diagnosed with too. Haha, I should be an expert. I'm still experiencing pain so I definitely hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are training nice and slow, with a lot of cross-training. If I had to place a bet, I'd bet you are going to cross that finish line.

    MCM Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. The difference is that now you have a lot more training behind you, and that will help. I completely understand the doubt, though, having been there myself, and still going through it. It really is *not* over yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll make it to that finish line. I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I've been reading, you are training pretty smart these days. I can't tell the future, but I bet you'll be good to go come race day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have all my fingers crossed but I'm not worried because you've got the right attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great one for the ipod! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just take it nice and easy and listen to your body along the way....never heard of the chips-n-salsa race, that's my favorite food, i may have to look into that one...

    ReplyDelete
  10. just keep training and taking GOOD CARE of yourself and your knee and you will cross that finish line and IT WILL ROCK!! :) and i love that there is a race out there called 'chips and salsa'... cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an appropriate song! Congrats on the 7.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you've come a long way since then!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's a much more satisfying finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl you've got this. Don't let last year psych you out. You've come a long way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keep staying positive. I see a half in your future. I am psycho, I mean psychic like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a helluva song..and also that U had a good run....thanks for sharing...hope U continue to have pain free run sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! Sometimes a little setback teaches how to get further. Keep rock-in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a solid run! I think you'll do great at Duke City, and I'm hoping you don't end up with knee problems again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey! How's it goin' girl!

    Just checkin' in (finally!).

    You're a smart trainer. Coming back from an injury is tough, but you can do the longer mileage. There's no need to run 5 or 6 days a week. You can do 3 and cross train and be fine with it (this I know).

    BTW...your post about the flat tires had me ROLLING!!!!

    ReplyDelete