Sunday, April 27, 2008

Not what I was hoping for

I was going to say that my weekend went from Fun-tastic to Crap-tastic, but after reading Wes' recent race report, I think I need to reserve that word for him (you really need to read the report to understand...lol).

I had a 6-7 mile run planned for this weekend. I decided to get 'er done on Saturday afternoon. I should have known it wasn't going to be a good run when I had to turn around at the end of my driveway because I had forgotten my cell phone. I should have known it wasn't going to be a good run when I put the cell phone in my pocket instead of in the pocket of my hydration belt where I usually keep it. I should have known it wasn't going to be a good run when the sand started blowing (20-30mph) in my eyes again.

But no, I didn't figure it out until I hit my second walk break and reached down to grab a bottle for some hydration. That's when I realized that I had left the hydration belt at home. Sigh.

Your mileage may vary, but there's no freaking way I can run 6-7 miles without hydration. I've learned this the hard way, but at least I've learned. I turned back toward home and grumbled. Ran a little, then walked for a bit. And grumbled some more. Ran a little more, then walked some more. Did a lot more walking that running and basically gave up.

mile 1 10:24
mile 2 12:04
mile 3 13:28
mile .45 12:35

When I got home, I decided to shake it off and simply hope for a do-over today, but that didn't happen. I don't want to dwell on it, but this was was definately not the training experience I was hoping for this weekend with a 10K next Sunday. Confidence for a PR is basically shot, but I know I still have it in me to Have Fun if nothing else. And that is what I intend to do.

26 comments:

  1. Ugh those kind of training days just BITE. Good for you though for getting over it and I think your confidence for the 10k will come back by the weekend.

    Go for that PR!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just keep moving forward...but you did the right thing without the proper hydration..just turn around and go home..

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I would like to think I have a monopoly on the word crap-tastic, but I think I'll pass, figuratively of course :-)

    Haven't we talked about this already? When its windy, please take your goggles on the run :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just keep thinking positive! Days like this will happen! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My run today was not too great either!

    I still think you will to awesome in your 10K :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are good trainig days and then there are the other ones..

    Yup, best to shake it off and there is always another day to try again.. I'm sure you will do great at your 10k, nontheless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that comment about Wes is funny!

    Maybe the 10k gods were just trying to tell you to take it easy - I feel a PR coming up... you've done some great run training over the winter so if the conditions are right and you "enjoy the moment" I'm sure you'll do GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! I have days like that. Bleeeaaaauuuch!

    Could you try to be a little optimistic, and see it as an enforced taper? After all, I'm given to understand that there are no such thing as accidents (allegedly) - maybe you needed a taper more than you wanted to admit?

    Good luck in your 10k next weekend.
    And for what its worth, I dont think one bad run can possibly stand between you and a PR if you want it badly enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're going to do AWESOME on the 10k. It always ends up like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we've all learned that lesson the hard way. I've learned it several times, and yet I'm too dumb to stop running without hydration!!! Wise choice going home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is like missing all your shots in warm up...you get it out ofyour system so you are ready for the real deal!
    No worries!
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is better that you turned around and headed back rather then trying to force out a good run and really messing things up for next weekend. Just try to forget about the bad run and think about how great you are going to do in your race

    Yeah Wes and Dee Dee definitely come up with some useful words jackhole,craptastic...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't feel so alone now! I seem to have days like that all the time. Keep up the good work ... You're going to rock the 10K!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep.. getting your hydration needs figured out is key, specially with the warmer weather. I got some good advice from Wes, Shirley and the others. Just experiment and see what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch. Those signs didn't mean anything too you? Way to hit the run anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have such a consistent base, one meh run won't stop you getting a PB.
    Chin up!
    BTW you've just reminded me to get my phone out of my bike seat bag, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes you just KNOW. From the first mile out your just know it ain't yer day. Rest, hydrate, get back on the saddle tomorrow...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everyone has had those kinds of runs before. I think it's best to pretend like it didn't happen, and move forth with other planned runs. There's no reason to feel discouraged. It was just a bad run; it is no indicator of how you'll run on race day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You might have enough of your speediness left from the last race to get you to that PR!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We all have those runs. And even though this is not what you wanted to come out of your run, it just means that you have a really good run coming up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some days you're just not meant to run!! LOL,

    Here's to better run's ahead and keep on keeping on!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah, agree with the others. Just chalk it up to bad running day, and we all have those. Don't let it make negative thoughts come into your head for the 10K. Just think positive.

    Love the new haircut! Looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I read years ago when I first started running that if your run doesn't go well in the first mile, you might as well go back home and forget it, but I usually give it until 2. So just forget it and I'm sure your recent half marathon race will get you through better than you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sorry you had a semi-crap-tastic run, but I am glad I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  25. At least that bad day is out of the way. You will suprise yourself in the 10k

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh crap I hate it when I do stuff like this. Don't think the PR is totally lost though. Just think about how rested your legs are. :D

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete