Friday, June 29, 2007

a what?!?!?

Tonight we went out to dinner after sending the kids off to camp for the weekend. I bored him with talk about stuff including my desire to do a 70.3 next year. I've been trying to get a sense of how he might feel about that. Sometimes he seems very supportive, other times he seems resentful.

Anyway, he's apparently expecting a bonus from work in the next month. While we were on the way home from dinner I asked him what he was planning to spend it on.

He said "I'm thinking about getting a road bike."

"You ARE?!?!? Do you want to try triathlon? or duathlon? or start riding to work? or what?!?!?!, " I responded with great enthusiasm.

He shook his head indicating a negative response.

"I just wanted to be able to go out with you on your weekend training rides."

Huge apologetic teary-eyed smile on my end.

I love this man. I still don't know how he feels about me doing a 70.3 next year. But if he'll start riding with me...well, that's better than any race. :)

17 comments:

  1. Awwww that's the nicest thing I've ever heard. What a great husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww.... doesn't that grab at the heart strings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I hope that you have some wonderful weekend rides together. Maybe he'll be bitten by "the bug", too. Who knows, you might become racing partners as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope he can keep up! You never know just WHO we can inspire, hmm? That's great for both of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a bad influence ;-) Patience! After he gets a road bike, who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good idea and even better response. Sounds like you have his support whether he shows it all the time, or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so great to have such a supporting husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww...I love that!! What a great guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. He sounds like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are VERY lucky. Take him up on it and enjoy the togetherness. And when you pick your 70.3, I'll bet he'll be there every pedal stroke of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perhaps you can draw into our dark world. Bwahahahahah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. and that's how it starts...

    lisa, this is so awesome! big j has talked about getting a bike too and i hope he does. the together time for you will be so wonderful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Training together is great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa-
    This is EXACTLY how my husband started doing triathlon. Four years ago he started training just so he could see me on the weekends. He had never ridden a bike before. So he got a bike, learned how to ride, then learned how to swim. Now he has competed in 10 races this year, is doing his first 70.3 in October. We had alot of "discussions" about my racing in the past. So much easier with him in it now too..

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so sweet, could you guys be any cuter or what?

    You never know . . . before too long and he could be joining you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, you're lucky. My boyfriend supports it, and resents it, and is there at the finish line. For the big races. But he would never get a bike or running shoes or whatever, to share the training with me. It's just not him, and I totally get it. This whole new running self of mine, it's not like me either.

    ReplyDelete