Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Areas of Focus

I think it's important for everyone to understand where they need to focus at any given time so they can devise training plan that works for them.  Depending on your goals, your areas of focus are likely different than mine.  But here's where I'm at right now:

Running Focus: injury prevention & base building
  • I have a chronic problem with my left knee.  My goal is to be smart about running choices (surface, distance) so that I can extend the time between treatments.  It's been 7 months and I'm hoping to make it close to a year before I need to go back in.  This means running on soft surfaces, distance no longer than 8 miles, and ensuring plenty of rest days between runs.
Swim Focus: getting to (and staying in) the pool
  • Successful swimming requires me to get up early (5am) so I can get to the pool while it's not too crowded and be done with my swim before work.  I have a bad habit of saying that I'm going to go, but then not doing it.  The waterproof ipod has definitely helped quite a bit by reducing the boredom. 
Bike Focus: base building
  • I've been cycling about twice a week.  Just trying to get my base back right now.  In another month, I may start focussing on speed.  But for now, it's about time in the saddle.
What about you?  Any specific focus areas that you are working on right now?

5 comments:

  1. I have a certain number of bike/swim/runs I try to get in during the week. I also try to have one long run to be ready for my mid July half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100% that we need that focus. I'm currently working on ascending and descending on steep trails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My focus right now, is on recovery from this nagging shoulder pain. It was weird to stay in bed this morning, knowing my priority was healing rather than running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My focus right now, is on recovery from this nagging shoulder pain. It was weird to stay in bed this morning, knowing my priority was healing rather than running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goal for this year to NOT worry about pace or time and enjoy running for what it is. It's tough at times to let go, but I like it :)

    ReplyDelete