Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Ten Things I've Learned since Husband Started Cycling

1) Every bike rider needs to take along his/her own pump, tire levers, spare tubes.

2) Thinking the other person has it covered is not a good strategy.

3) Knowing how to do a few basic bicycle maintenance tasks is powerful.

4) Passing this knowledge on to a man...priceless.

5) Bike trainers can be a good investment.

6) The Tour de Cubs is ongoing even as I type (Husband on trainer watching Cubs on TV).

7) I missed out on a lot when I was riding by myself. Okay, I actually learned this before he started cycling, but I'm reminded everytime I ride with him now vs. riding alone.

8) "Let's go at a speed that can be maintained for hours" means something totally different to him than it does to me. "Let's go at a speed that *I* can maintain for hours" is much more clear.

9) "Why are you having trouble keeping up?" isn't meant to be derogatory and is no cause for an argument. He is just seeking to understand.

10) Why I bought my pretty new LeMond carbon fiber road bike still escapes him, but he knows riding it makes me smile because he was right there with me when I was smiling. :)

Yes, I know I owe photos and info on said new bike...patience, my friends.

16 comments:

  1. LOL @ no. 6
    If you can manage no. 9 then you're a better woman than I am!

    That is such a nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing to keep in mind is that he may get faster if he just started and really starts liking cycling...the dynamic of riding with someone keeps changing which can be fun (and challenging)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa I'm with you - riding with someone else is more fun! I'm bizarrely looking forward to our club winter rides (3hours in the cold, wet and wind... nice)

    Have a great rest of week - and where are those piccies!??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with lbtepa!! Ohhhh dear you are a MUCH nicer wife than I am if you can understand #9. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having an enthusiastic riding partner is priceless as well. As a cyclist, I think the "man" boundaries are a little grey, eh :-)

    and yea, where are our pics and the name of this beautiful new carbon fiber bike? Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!!! I can't wait until DH can ride with me someday. He is up next for a bike! I have to get my bike repair stuff learned right away!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so we finally learn what bike you've bought! Good choice. I looked at them myself, but they do not carry them around here. Nice that you now have a riding companion. I suspect your biking will improve quite a bit, if not for the enjoyment factor alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lisa, this is great! i so want my hubby to ride with me. hopefully this will be the year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A trainer is definitely a good investment...as long as both of you can share. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes a trainer is a valuable tool year around.

    Look at how far you have come in cycling that should be pricless as well.

    It does help to ride with someone as the miles get longer..keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha when I'm home in PA we have a recumbent bike in the basement. I'm a frequenter of the Tour de Phillies lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. we keep toying with getting two trainers - but usually when one of us is riding the other is running. Our house is crazy too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you have learned alot!!! Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my experience doing anything new with your husband involves a steap learning curve...AND I would never get my husband out the door to go ANYWHERE since the Cubs are not in the basement! He SWEARS this is the year...I hope so!

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - tres cool - family riding!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You must have a very healthy marriage. I could add some things I have learned while riding with men, but they wouldn't be nice like yours - so I will just keep my big trap shut!

    ReplyDelete