Friday, February 7, 2014

Snowball Shuffle - a week late

Medal Earned!
When I joined the Winter Miles challenge, I also pre-ordered a finishers medal for the Snowball Shuffle virtual 8K. The virtual race itself was last week, but that didn't happen for me.  I did, however, earn my medal this morning.  Since I didn't have to report back my time (due to being late), I wasn't paying all the close of attention to my overall pace, but given that I am still doing a 2:1 run:walk and wasn't really pushing it, I'm guessing it ended up something like a 13:30 pace which puts it in the 66-67 minute range.  That sounds about right.

I'm fairly certain that I will not be entering the Sweetheart Race for this weekend.  After this morning's run, I'm confident that I am not really in race shape.  And I don't really want to pay two entry fees (for both me and Husband) for a training run.  This virtual race, albeit a week late, is good enough for me to feel back at it.  As for Sunday, I think I'll simply run solo before or after church instead.

Looking at my training schedule, next weekend I'm scheduled for 6.5 miles. As long as I can do that, my half marathon training is recoverable.  Right now it's more about the distance than speed, so that's going to be my focus.

4 comments:

  1. Great job on getting it done! I admit we don't do a ton of races because I am cheap :) I try to wait until I feel really ready to go hard. Hope the 6.5 went well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entry fees put me off doing some races too. I used to do heaps but I've cut right back to doing just the ones I really want to do and if that involves a weekend away then all the better. That could probably be why I think racing's expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Lisa! Race prices are a real downside of participation but I'm glad you could do this one and get a great medal too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You take a very smart approach with your recovery and half marathon training. Keep it up and you will have a great half marathon!!

    ReplyDelete