Friday, November 22, 2013

Friday Four

Stormy Sky at Daybreak
Stormy Skies: We are currently under a winter storm advisory. The weather forecast for today and through the weekend seems ominous. However, I know from experience that stormy skies are a recipe for beautiful sunrises. I made sure to arm myself with my camera at daybreak to capture the moment!

I actually took two photos, the one I took a few moments after this one is much more pink/purple. But I think I like the contrast in this one better, so this is what I'm sharing with you.

Miscalculations: I was supposed to run with a friend this morning.  I was fairly sure she would bail on the run due to weather, so I made it a point to run late yesterday afternoon instead.  Looking at my data from the run (another Galloway style run-walk-run), I realize that I made a significant miscalculation

Allow me to explain.  I had been thinking that with a 3:1 run:walk ratio, that I would end up running 75% of a half marathon, 9.8 miles, and walking the remaining 25%. From a distance perspective, this is something I'm fairly sure my knee can handle. But while this is true from a time perspective, it is not true from a distance perspective!  D'oh! It looks like I'm running about 83% of the distance in my training runs, walking only 17%.  That means I would end up running almost 11 miles of a half marathon.  That sounds like a lot for my knee.  So depending on how it goes, I may need to modify the run:walk ratio, assuming I actually pursue a half marathon.  But then again, maybe with walk breaks, my knee can handle a longer distance.  Time will tell..

Keep on Steppin': My step count this week continues to go well.  I was wearing my pedometer when I went to the chiropractor yesterday and needed to take it off during the adjustment. I set it on the counter. She glanced over at it and seemed genuinely impressed with my step count given the early hour of my appointment.  Huzzah!

Random quirky pet story for the day: One of my cats likes to jump up on the desk and walk across my laptop before sitting down and watching me work.  Usually, when she does this, it results in turning off my wifi and taking a screen shot.  Every.Time.  It's frustrating, but cute.  Anyway, this morning she must have be resting on my laptop when I walked out to use the restroom.  I came back and she had managed over 1000 screen captures!  What the heck?!?!?


  1. We are having stormy weather here in Johannesburg as well. My one cat always sits on the laptop keyboard. She types a lot of words per minute!

  2. Oy! 1000 screen captures!
    Those skies are beautiful, but weather it a changing. We're dropping back to cold mode. Sigh.

  3. So show us one of the pictures!

  4. It took me a little while to realise what your miscalculation was. D'oh to me too. I'm glad I worked it out in the end though - proves I'm not totally stupid.

  5. Thanks Lisa :)
    That is an amazing sunrise!

  6. Beautiful pic!

    I'm laughing at your cat.