Monday, March 4, 2013

Half the battle is in your mind...

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." - John Wooden

Not sure how (or if) I'm going to work that quote into my post today, but it seems like a good thought, especially for a Monday.

Over the course of the past 4 days, I managed to "run" (and I use the term loosely) a total of 16.9 miles.  May not seem like much to you, but given that I only ran 29.4 miles the entire month of February, this is a step up for me.

Here's the best part.  On Sunday afternoon, I was running with my running partner and we were both feeling really sluggish.  We had decided to run "to the gate" which essentially means until the path we were on dead ends.  We were maybe half a mile from the gate when I abruptly turned around and said "I just can't do this today."  But then I decided that was crazy talk.  I could in fact do this, I simply didn't want to.  And actually, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that, I actually *did* want to.  So we turned around again, screamed "We can do this!" and in fact went all the way to the gate.  Huzzah!  Positive self-talk for the win!

I deserve a cookie or 12 for that, don't you think?  No?  Well how about something fitness-related then?  Better?  Yeah, I thought so too.  I am now the happy owner of a second pair of the new Merrell Mix Master Move Glide, this time in the greenish color scheme.  You can't really tell from the photo, but they are some BRIGHT shoes.  

Truth be told, I bought the shoes before my break-through positive self-talk moment.  But at least now I feel like I deserve them.  And as you may have guessed, this means that I have decided that I am happy with this particular style.  

Mondays are typically my rest day, but there is a part of me that is itching to get on my bike.  Looking at the weather, it probably won't happen today.  The forecast for the afternoon shows crazy wind (30mph-ish).  Ick. Okay, maybe tomorrow... 

Happy Monday!

10 comments:

  1. Way to push though when you weren't feeling it. Love the reward shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huzzah, indeed! I'm glad you turned around (again) and finished your run. Those shoes are definitely bright! Hopefully their cheerful color scheme will promote positivity whenever you wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, that's why I love out and back routes. Even If you walk on the way out, you have to get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats for pushing through. LOVE the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the self-motivation! Way to get it, girl!! Cute shoes, too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done you!!! nice shoes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is amazing what positive self-talk can do -- way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job on your mental pep talk and turning a bad run into a good run. This is tough and not many people can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pep talk, and I love the pep talk justified the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frankly, I think *more* than half the battle is mindset....

    ReplyDelete