Saturday, August 11, 2012

The accidental 5K

So...We're in Indianapolis for a few days, came to see the DCI finals (drum corp).  I vaguely remembered that when I was searching for things to do in the area a few weeks ago that I saw a 5k. My recollection was that it was on Sunday, the day we are leaving, but I decided to do a quick search online anyway. Low and behold, I discovered that the race was on Saturday and only a block away from our hotel!  We had packed our running clothes anyway, so we quickly decided to sign up online Friday morning.

I hadn't packed my Garmin and was a little nervous about that, but figured running "naked" for a change wouldn't hurt me.  Turns out it didn't help.  Without it, I had no idea if I was running to fast or too slow or just right. The altitude in Indianapolis is much lower than central New Mexico, so running by feel wasn't working out for me either.

I ended up finishing in 28:42, a 9:14 pace.  That's slower than I was hoping, but still good enough for an age group award, 3rd f45-49, 142 overall out of 302 runners.  Not bad for an accidental 5k!

8 comments:

  1. Very nice job for an accidental 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done! Speediness and bling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wish I could find a short race to run while traveling - I think it just makes it more fun! Great job "accidentally" racing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, love it when an outsider takes an age group spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spontaneous races are the best. Congrats on 3rd AG place, that is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3rd in your age group and in the first half: a successful race with a very good finishing time. Congrats.
    You have run without Garmin. Some years ago I ran in Scotland with only a singlet in cotton because my son arrived late with my running winter clothes! It was a terrible unforgotten adventure.

    ReplyDelete