Monday, March 26, 2012

What are you training for?

I get asked this question a lot.  In years past, I've almost always had an answer.  But right now I don't.  It's kind of weird not knowing what I'm training for.

I have a few ideas of what I'm NOT training for.

  • I'm not training for a half-marathon.  Even though that is my favorite running distance, my knee seems to do okay up to about 7 miles, then it gets cranky.  I'll stick with 10Ks or shorter. 
  • I'm not training for Worlds Toughest 10K.  My last few hill training runs have confirmed that for me.
  • I'm apparently not training for a triathlon as I haven't been swimming in months (oddly, the only race I've actually signed up for so far this year happens to be a sprint).
  • I'm not training for a relay race.  Several folks from my running group are doing one up in Colorado. I've opted to pass on that.

There are also a few events over the next several months that I'm thinking about, but I haven't committed by registering for any of them.

  • Coyote Caldera Sprint Tri (late April)
  • Run for the Zoo 5K or 10K (early May)
  • Albuquerque Century Tour de Cure half or metric century (early June) 
What about you?  Is your training aimed at specific events or are you in limbo like me?

12 comments:

  1. I like to have my races paid for early in the year, that way I know what I'm doing and if something happens, I don't have to worry about coming up with the cash. So for me, I'm definitely training for sumfin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at the end of training for a half marathon that is this Saturday, and I'm very near registering for a trail marathon in July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to be training for my first TRI in July but havent started the swimming part yet. I'm putting that off.....Dreading it actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm training for yet another 1/2IM , when in reality, I'm more suited for olympic distance. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
    Yet here I am again :p

    I also have a half mary coming up. I think this may be my distance, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Run for the Zoo sounds intriguing. Do you raise money for a zoo or actually get to go there?

    Hope you can do a half soon. They are a great distance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My training is only a series of tests to understand what I will be able to do after the complete (?????) recover.
    I think you have to stick with those 10K until the day you can run pain free. I also think it is better you don't run 2 days in a row for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't remember the last time I didn't have a race on my calendar (or several).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Currently training for the Vancouver Marathon! I have a few ideas of races for late summer/fall but haven't actually committed to any of them yet. I am actually looking forward to the limbo phase in May/June after my marathon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. People often say that to me, and if I don't have a race on the horizon, like at the moment (B/c I'm not admitting I'm aiming for a July marathon) I just mumble, oh, I just like to exercise. When there's no goal race I think of training as laying the groundwork for when I do decide to do a race.

    ReplyDelete
  10. L
    I
    F
    E.

    Im training for life.


    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  11. I decided to not do a marathon this year and trying to improve my speed on shorter distances instead. My goal is to PR on 5k, 10k and the half marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Training for a Half.
    I don't like not to have something to train for...I seem not to run or go to the gym then.

    ReplyDelete