Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday Follies

What I learned from my post a few days ago, is that many of you like/need a schedule, but you don't necessarily follow it exactly. That's pretty much how it is for me as well.

I was originally going to run 7 miles easy today. Coach wanted me to scale that back to 4 miles easy since I'm running a 5K on Sunday. But then a friend of mine wanted to meet for an early morning 4 mile trail walk. Couldn't say no to that! Decided to walk first, then cut back my run to something closer to 3 miles. To make up for decreased distance, I figured it would be a good idea to push the pace a little and try to achieve negative splits. So that's what I set out to do.

When I got home, I thought that I had completely failed on the run. Every time I checked my Garmin, it seemed like I was going slower. But I feel better now. I ended up running about 3.3 miles, and I nailed the progressive aspect. Plus there's a nice little pick up at the end:

I don't think I'm going to come anywhere my "normal" 5K race pace this weekend. This should be no surprise, since I haven't done any speed work or tempo runs in preparation. And the run this morning was a struggle for me. However, I still think it will be fun to be out there Sunday morning. In the end, that's really what it's all about, right? Fun. :-)

12 comments:

  1. Yes, it's really just all about having fun. Or atleast it is in my world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, have fun with it. At least you are running!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoy the race! you'll get back to your old 5K time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed...fun is my race bib name.
    Have a great 5km~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running is SO FUN! That's why I love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun first and if you feel really good you can push more. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is all about having fun. Without finding the "fun" in running, it is just running. :)

    Have fun and enjoy your 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's way less pressure if you're just running the race for fun! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely done! Have a great time at the race.

    ReplyDelete