Sunday, February 28, 2010

BYOB, Set-up, & Feb Totals

- BYOB -

No, not bring your own beer. I don't drink beer, you silly people. "Buy Your Own Bling".

I've run the Duke City half-marathon for 3 years in a row. And at the end of the race, do you know what they give? A finisher's pin. 13.1 miles for a finishers pin. I was whining about this injustice to my husband and declared that I should put my name in for the Nike women's half-marathon. I think I deserve something nicer than a finisher's pin.

He replied something along the lines of, "for significantly less than the money it would cost for the race, room and board, and a flight, you could buy your self something and call it even."

I hope he remembers saying that. Because that's just what I did this past week.

It may not look like it to the casual passer-by, but in my mind, this new pendant represents 3 years of finisher pins. So there!

- Set-up! -

Coach admitted in email that he set me up for that negative split on Saturday. Can you believe it?! He purposely had my running partner speed up at the end, making me think I was falling off pace so that I would work just a little harder. That stinker!

"I have to play mind games with you. I hope you won't hold it against me," he said.

Are you kidding me? It was brilliant. Of course, I'm not falling for that next time, so he better have something else up his sleeve...

- Feb Totals -

The Numbers:

56.8 miles running
41.5 miles cycling
4 strength sessions
1 race - Sweetheart Run 5K

Thoughts:

It was a good month. A very good month.

Plans:

Keep on keepin' on.

27 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa,
    I love your new bling!!!! Good job on your workout runs...I love that your coach is very clever:! Ha ha, you had to feel pretty darn good after finding out you kicked butt:) Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah for your coach and his mind games! And even more yea for your own bling, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coaches are evil. Coaches are wise.

    Nice pendant but you have much more to spend to make up for 3 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha good for you for buying yourself something! You deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh i really like this idea! ;) you definitely earned it.

    i kinda like coach's little game! i mean, i would've hated it at the time but can appreciate it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your rationale! The 1/2 I do every March gives nothing other than a hot pretzel at the finish. I guess I owe myself 4 years worth of bling for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh well deserved. love it! YAYAY for bling. and negative splits too, sneaky or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the new bling! Definitely a good reward for running the HM three times.

    And I bet I could find a beer you like. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cha-ching!! Way to get yourself some bling girl. I think you earned it!

    I like sneaky coaches, as long as I don't know they are being sneaky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wouldn't do an event with no bling. No questions asked. Except the one I'm doing in 2 weeks, oops.
    But that's very nice bling you bought! Are you going to do the NIke womens' half? Thatd be great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the bling is a very reasonable choice! Congrats on a great month of training!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty!

    And, a medal is certainly an expectation for the end of an HM. A oin just doesn't cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like an amazing week! Way go to :-) Love the new bling!

    ReplyDelete
  14. note to self: be careful what I say to Dee Dee that involves money....

    Coach is sneaky eh? He shoulda kept it under wraps ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great choice on the bling!

    And that's what coaches are for... tricking us into working harder!

    Mine likes to tell us a route is a certain distance, only to reveal when we are almost done that may actually be a mile or two more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the necklace. Good idea by the Husband. And man you're running coach is a sneaky one, but man what an awesome result you got!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have collectively started calling our coach Satan except she likes that.
    Sweet bling...and good idea. I may have to through this past the hubs....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the new bling!! What a fantastic idea your hubby had!
    Too funny! Smart Coach!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great bling! Don't you just hate it when they don't give nice medals? One half I ran last Sept. gave the marathoners a huge medal. The half people? We got a beer glass with a stick on logo of the sponsor's name. Big deal! Looks like you found a great compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful bling! My sis once switched to running a full marathon instead of the half when she found out there was no medal for the half folks. I think she should have talked to you first.

    And funny about what your coach did!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ahh the beauty of a coach, making us better even when we don't want to

    ReplyDelete
  23. That sneaky coach..sounds like it worked at least

    ReplyDelete