About three weeks ago, I mentioned that I had decided to buy some Yoga DVDs. Well, I've had them for awhile now and am ready to share my thoughts.
What I bought:
I started with an order for three Ana Brett & Ravi Singh DVDs. Specifically: Ultimate Stretch Yoga Workout, Yoga Beauty Body, & Warrior Workout. Ultimate Stretch was backordered, so I ended up adding Kundalini Yoga for Beginners & Beyond to my collection as well. I've liked most of these well enough to order another one (Dance the Chakras) off ebay but I haven't received it yet.
- I was initially surprised by the combination of flexibility, strength, and cardio contained within these workouts. It's more challenging that I imagined.
- I chose to use these as my six-pack challenge work. There is definately a lot of core included. I'm doing better with the ab stuff as I continue working on it.
- This is way different from the Yoga I have done before.
- These DVDs are really aimed at women. I have a hard time imagining that a man would enjoy these specific ones, but I could be wrong.
What I like:
- These have the "Matrix" option which allows you to customize your workout from a menu of the various components, or you can just run it start to finish.
- I find this yoga style to be engaging and fun, not boring.
- Something about yoga is also relaxing. I feel positive and upbeat afterwards.
- I enjoy the music track on most of theses DVDs.
- The instructions are fairly clear and they give modifications for many poses.
What I don't like:
- Ana needs to wear more clothes. Seriously. Most of the time I have my eyes closed while I do this, so it doesn't bother me as much as it did at first.
- The "tune in" and "mediation" sections are too new age for me, but I use the Matrix options and have been skipping these sections all together
- Ravi makes some health claims that see outrageous to me. I choose to ignore much of that.
Comments Specific to each DVD:
- Yoga Beauty Body - My favorite of the bunch. Includes "the magnificent seven". I like both yoga sets on this one. I'm guessing that I choose this one every other time that I do yoga.
- Beginners & Beyond - I've been going straight to yoga set 2 (Five Tibetan Rites) after the warm-up. Good stuff. Set one is just so-so.
- Warrior Workout - Super challenging. Even the warm-up is challenging! I haven't made it to the 2nd yoga set on this one yet. I'm going to have to work up to this one.
- Ultimate Stretch - My least favorite. Can't put my finger on it, but this one just doesn't do it for me. Might give this one away at some point; maybe someone else will enjoy it.
Overall, I'm glad I spent the money on these. I've been doing them at least 3 times a week, look forward to doing them, and feel that I'm seeing results.