Thursday, October 9, 2014

Bike Valet at AIBF

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta offers a free bike valet service.  This is the first year that we have tried it out.

The Balloon Park is about 8.5 miles from our house, which is not too bad.  The downside is that we needed to leave in the dark and when we got out onto a more major rode, we needed to ride along some traffic congestion for a little while.

The upside is that we didn't get stuck in traffic, we didn't need to pay parking or pay the premium charged for the park-and-ride bus service combo ticket.  Plus we got some exercise.  And it was a great morning.

There are a few things that I'd do differently.  I left my bike gloves at home and wore regular full fingered gloves on the way to the park. I should have stuck with the bike gloves.  I also wore bike shorts under running tights.  I think bike capris would have been a better choice.  Finally, there was a section where we rode in a bike lane among car traffic that actually had a multiuse trail off to the side (we found that on the way back); should have taken the multiuse trail whenever possible and stayed off the road because there was debris and some signs that we needed to dodge.  Other than those few minor things, it really worked out well.

It was special shapes day.  Sharing a few photos.  Enjoy!!

Can't see much? Either could I!  It was dark when we left the house.  My bike light lit up the path ahead fairly well though 

A Balloon getting ready to launch

The Bees are a crowd favorite

AIBF is one of the only ones that lets spectators out onto the field to walk among the balloons

Another crowd favorite.  It inflated today, but didn't launch

Back at the Bike Valet to pick up our bikes and ride home.  A really nice service!

8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of a bike valet service - how cool! And I love the pictures - it looks like a really impressive event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great service and a fun event. Good times all around!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Balloons are even better in person, you can only capture so much by photo...

      Delete
  3. What a spectacular event. The skies must have looked amazing filled with all those different shapes and colours. I love being up early and seeing just one or two over our city - my mind would have been blown by this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though we've been here nearly 25 years, my mind is still blown by this event!

      Delete
  4. LOVE the hot air balloons!! Soo pretty!!

    ReplyDelete