Monday, June 23, 2014

A Fresh Perspective

Happiness really is a matter of perspective.

Being a Happy Cyclist
It started with an idea of testing out my foot with a short bike ride.  It was a beautiful summer morning, not too hot, not too windy.  I chose a route that was 8.3 miles long with a decent bit of climbing, just to test things out.

For the most part, it was a success!  My foot didn't bother me too much.  My knee was a little annoyed, but not too bad. And there was the encounter with a snake.  I am not sure if it's considered bad luck to have a snake cross your path (like a black cat) or if maybe it's actually a good sign.  In any event, I figured it wasn't going to be good if I hit the snake with my bike so I swerved to avoid it.

When I got home from the bike ride, I started thinking about about events that I might like to consider for this year. One is the Live.Love.Tri in August.  This is the all women's tri that I've done for a few years now.  I might not be able to run the run, but since it's a super supportive event, I don't think that will matter too much how fast I am able go.  It will be fun to just to participate.

Day of Tread Ride
Another event that I'm considering is the Day of the Tread.  Last year we tried the metric century and had to turn back early because of my knee.  I ended up doing something closer to 50 miles rather than the planned 64.  This year maybe we'll just plan for the half-century route.  It's 49 miles with just under 1500 ft of climb.

One final event of interest is the MS ride.  It's a two day event with several distance possibilities each day.  Husband did it last year, and would like me to think about joining him this year.  I don't want to hold him back, though.  Maybe I'll just do one of the two days?  Or maybe I'll just go out for support?  Not sure exactly what my role will be, but I put it on my calendar as something to think about.

WDF 2014, wearing blue shirt, green skirt
While looking up the dates for these cycling events, I stumbled across a photo from last year's Women's Distance Festival.  This is an all women's 5K that I've done for several years. They have both a timed run and a timed walk. This year's race will be in about 4 weeks. I was starting to get bummed about the likelihood that I'll need to register for the walk or skip it all together. Just for grins, I decided to look up the timed walk times from 2013.

The first place walker finished in 29 minute.  Wow. That's pretty speedy. I can't always run a 5K that fast!  The second place finished in about 40 minutes. That's just under a 13 min mile.  That's probably still faster than I can walk, but getting more reasonable. The third place woman, however, finished in 49 minutes. That's a little over a 15min/mi. I decided to time myself for a brisk one mile fitness walk.  I was able to complete it in 14:40 although I'm not sure if I can keep that pace up for a full 3.1 miles.  In any event, it certainly puts me in the range of a 3rd place podium finish if this year's walkers have similar paces as last year. Wouldn't it be a hoot if I could actually get a medal walking the race?!?!

All in all, it's been a good day.  I'm feeling encouraged and energized even though nothing has changed about my situation from a running perspective.  The difference is simply a fresh perspective and an open mind while exploring some other options.

7 comments:

  1. Good bike rides feel like a lot of fun when you're out there. Good job! Glad the foot and knee held up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this kind of perspective. There is always a silver lining :) I have had many a race where I am cursing like a sailor in my head since a walker is kicking my butt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a snake cross your path is definitely good luck. Having it block your path is quite a different matter.
    It's good to hear that the cycling was a lot kinder on your injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh a snake. One of the reasons I stay in a place with cold winters I think. Minimal snakes. I love that you're focused on what you CAN do. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you've got a lot of good options for races coming up that will be fun regardless of your speed. 29 minutes is very speedy walking for a 5K. I can't run one that fast either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could probably do 44-45 minutes walking. That 29 minute walker was incredible!

      Delete
  6. The biking sounds fun.

    I hate snakes, though.

    ReplyDelete