It has been nearly three years since I last did a Tri. I had pretty much convinced myself that I'm a runner now, not a triathlete. So why did I decide to sign up for this one?
1) It's an all women's race. I've done a few all women running events and there is something empowering about those events. Many women who are intimidate by other events will try something in an all women environment. I wanted to be a part of that again.
2) It's a short sprint. The bike segment, my nemesis, is only 10 miles long. No matter how hilly the course is, I can get through 10 miles. And it also means that I don't need to be training any crazy long bike distances. Totally manageable.
3) It will give me the motivation I need to get on my bike and into the pool. I don't love cycling or swimming the way that I love running. Without something to train for, my bike and swim suit end up neglected. But both of those activities are good for my body and quite doable with my knee issues.
4) It really sounds like fun. I had a few questions about the race. The race directors emailed me right away and added was "It is going to be SO fun!" I'm definitely getting a fun vibe from this event, and you must know by now that I'm all about fun.
5) The timing is right. I have a good 4 months to get ready. I don't need to panic about taking a break from running or not being in swim/cycle condition at the moment. I have plenty of time to get ready.
I'm sure the seeds of self-doubt will start sprouting at some point, but I KNOW I can do this. And it's going to be loads of fun!
You will do great, you done them in the past, you know what to generally expect. Plus they are funReplyDelete
I think if you are going to run shorter distances, more often, then sprint tris would be right up your alley. have fun!!ReplyDelete
Awesome, awesome! It is great you have an event you are so looking forward to.ReplyDelete
I LOVE all women's events. Totally agree with you there.ReplyDelete
I love the vibe at all-women's events. It's just a really awesome feeling and it's been way too long since I've done one.ReplyDelete
I think this does sound like a fun race and I bet with all those women it will be a great atmosphere!
It sounds like a great event!ReplyDelete
You've got this! It looks like the perfect tri scenario for you. Yay!ReplyDelete
agreed, i totally love all women's races!!ReplyDelete
Good reasons all around and awesome that you're feeling psyched up and confident!ReplyDelete
I've never participated in all women's event, and you're kind of making me feel like I should put that on my list of things to do. It really does sound like it's going to be a fantastically fun event!ReplyDelete
A better title could be "why not?"ReplyDelete
Good luck training!ReplyDelete
I think the tri is a great idea! I started as a pure runner and ran for nearly 7 years before doing a tri. I found that tri training is a lot easier on my body than just running. Hope the same holds true for you as well.
I reckon the phrase "it's going to be SO fun" would be enough reason!!ReplyDelete
I *know* you can do this too. I'm so glad you signed up. Sounds like a very smart decision. ;)ReplyDelete
I always joke in Sprint Tri that since the bike is only 10 k, u can always jog it :P.ReplyDelete
you will do great.. good luckReplyDelete
You are going to do an awesome job and I can't wait to hear about it!! :0)ReplyDelete