Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cruddy Run and Push-Ups

Tomorrow I'll try to post again about our trip, but this evening I must babble about a few things training related. But I will say one thing, yes that was me climbing down in the water in a bikini (gasp!). And thank you for the words of encouragement - I was hesitant to include that photo , but apparently all the time at the gym is paying off if a middle aged women such as myself can pull off a bikini with some dignity. :-)

I did get out to run today. That's the good news. I was supposed to do 4 miles easy. Doesn't sound too bad. However, the wind kicked up and the whole run basically sucked. It was the slowest most miserable run that I've had for a few quite some time. I gave up at 3.75miles and walked in. On Saturday I'm targetting 6 miles with a pace target given to me by Coach. I sure hope that run goes much better than today's. Sigh.

Tomorrow I have an appt with Trainer Guy at the gym. I'm also scheduled for Week 3 Day 3 push-ups. Which brings me to my next topic. I want to talk about these "modified" pushups that I've been doing.

The Dash-Splash-Push rules state that women may have bent knees, which is clearly easier than regular pushups, but I'm not 100% sure how I'm supposed to do them.

I've drawn a little picture to show what it looks like with me in the "Up" position. Pardon my lack of artistic ability LOL. Anyway, my knees are touching the ground, but I'm trying to keep my core straight. My feet are slightly elevated. Is this what modified pushups are supposed to look like? Or at least, is this an acceptable version of modified pushups? Anyone know?

21 comments:

  1. great core! your smokin'!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love re little picture, and yes, that looks right to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a perfect modified push-up, from what I can see of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good luck on your 6-miler Saturday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... I think you need to put on some weight, based on that picture! :)

    Aren't modified push-ups what they used to call girl push-ups?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the way I do modified push ups - but I realize that the way I do things does not necessarily mean it's the right way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok annoying music at the start but at :47 seconds they explain a pretty good modified pushup.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFyzS1Z_mxA

    BTW, it sounds as if you needed to fistacuff Wendy & her cousin Gusty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the drawing. Good luck on your 6-mile run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm no expert, but it looks right to me too.

    I hope your next run is better! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's it! Straight from your chest to your knees, then what you do with your feet doesn't matter. Have a goooood time this weekend!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, that's the modified version, I quite enjoy the drawing! :) Sorry about a crummy run, I think we all have them once in awhile, boo. Can't wait to see more pics of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG LISA!! That was YOU?! I had to go back and look! I thought it was just some random woman?! (Clearly my head is fuzzy from this sickness) HOLY MOTHER you look fantastic! I'm jealous! There is no way I could ever rock out in a 'kini! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let's hope the wind dies down in time for tomorrow's run. And hope your appointment with trainer guy goes well. That's how I do modified push-ups-- it is strange how although they're easier they feel more awkward, at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. push up looks good; sorry about the windy run. have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. that's what my push ups look like :) if that's right or not - no idea :)

    sorry about the sucky run - hope tomorrow's run makes up for it and is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello long lost friend!! I am so sorry that I didn't have your right blog bookmarked! I knew you were changing but for some reason never got you moved over in my reader! Glad to find you and see that you are doing well!! Love the pictures from your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd say your artistic ability is about the same as mine. Here's what I've learned at my strength training classes over the past few months about modified or any pushups. Your drawing looks correct, but make sure you keep the hands under the shoulder area so you are pushing the chest area up rather than just working the arms. Apparently you get a more targeted workout. We do them on an exercise ball, and when using this method, you actually lean down closer to the floor and push back up toward the ball. (Does that possibly make any sense??) Anyway, I think hand placement is the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's how I do my modified push ups too. As long as your straight from the hips to the shoulders it doesn't matter what you're feet do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That pushup looks ok but I agree - you need to put on some weight (just WOW about the bikini - I love snorkelling, that's why we've been to Vanuatu twice).
    Sometimes I think cruddy runs are to teach us how to keep going when things are hard - but sometimes they're just cruddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some people beat me to the comment about your stick like figure and overdoing weight loss - perfectly acceptable modified push-ups. Keep enjoying your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's how I've always thought modified push-ups were to be done. And funny to hear all the comments about how thin you look in that drawing :-)

    ReplyDelete