Sunday, January 31, 2010

Saturday 5

Our running group usually breaks into three groups. Speedy-McSpeedsters, Fast-Runners-in-Denial, and the Mid-to-Back-of-the-Packers. Sadly, I was the only Mid-to-Back-of-the Packer who showed up. Disappointed, I was prepared to run solo.

It was a chilly 24 deg when we headed out for our scheduled 5 mile run. I had decided to wear tights, two long sleeve shirts, and a fleece. Plus gloves and a warm hat. I knew within a quarter mile that I had over dressed. By the 1 mile marker, the fleece and gloves came off. At about 1.5 miles, I decided the gloves should go back on. Finally comfortable, I settled into a rhythm.

The group was encouraging when we passed each other on their way back from the turn point. Hoots and hollers and high fives. The positive energy motivated me to kick it up a notch.

Then the oddest thing occurred. One of the Speedy McSpeedsters (a guy who's training for Boston) decided to run out a little longer so he could meet up with me near 2.5 mile turn point and keep me company for the run in.

My run group rocks.

21 comments:

  1. Lisa, sounds like a great group run. Nothing like it huh? Your doing so awesome lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so nice of him! Glad you had a great run! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Run groups rock! I agree.

    I'm like you. I can take cold almost anywhere but my hands. If my hands are cold, it's all but over for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the best part of running with a running group, they never leave a runner behind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for a good run and that's awesome that he came back to run you in!

    MCM Mama

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cool, sounds like a nice group!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww how nice of him! That's why I LOVE runners.

    I ALWAYS seem to over-dress for runs and I will spend the majority of it taking my gloves on and off. Today I finally went out without my gloves and even though my fingers were chilled at the beginning they quickly warmed up. Best decision ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy you have an awesome group to run with, makes such a difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is SO nice. How great for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Running groups are the only thing that gets me through my runs. Glad you have a supportive environment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the supportive feeling given by training groups !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like Mr. Speedy Mc Speedster is a really nice guy!

    I'm always perplexed by what to wear when it's cold. I always feel like what ever I'm wearing is too much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was nice of him, but it's too bad you had to run solo at all! It's my opinion that whoever heads the group should always make sure that everyone is at least paired off, no matter what the level of speed/ability.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so cool of him to keep you company. Great job on getting it done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like me... gloves on and off and on again.

    Glad you had some company. Running groups are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great group to run with

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was nice of him! I often have to run longer but at a slower pace than those in my tri/running club who are training for shorter distance races and doing speed work. It's nice to run with others even if for just part of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yes they do. That is something I would do... of course, the person I would meet would have to be like, walking, cuz I'm no speedy McSpeedster :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's awesome that you found a good group :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so Nice!!! Runner as the best kind of people out there.

    Great run!

    ReplyDelete