Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Half Century Thoughts

I signed us up last night. Decision made.

It's a tour not a race. It doesn't matter how slow we go or how many times we stop. What matters is that we get through it and (hopefully) have some fun in the process.

Made it through a 28 miles ride yesterday with Husband. Sure it was mostly flat and my body aches all over today, the point is that I survived. And I think I can go further next weekend.

We can probably modify the course a little bit, start from home instead of the heart hospital, and join up about 10 miles into the ride. Then cut back to home instead of the heart hospital and still get in the 50 miles.

I got my commuter bike back, so I'm on for cycle commuting Wed and Fri this week (weather permitting). Every time I do that, I get in some good hill training.

We're going to aim for a forty mile loop on Saturday. The next weekend is the century event.

I really need to find a slow cycling buddy to train with after this. Trying to keep up with Husband is exhausting. It's also a bit depressing when I'm working my tail off and he casually says "I think I could go forever at this pace"

17 comments:

  1. sounds like a lot of fun and something i'd love to do! have an excellent ride this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work on the ride over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the energy of "tours" so much! Great job on the 28 and have fun on the upcoming 40. I'd ride with you if we were closer. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way trying to run with hubs... he's jogging along barely breaking a sweat and I'm huffing and puffing!

    Sounds like a good plan to get you to the half-century!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to really struggle to keep up with my husband on a bike when I first started out riding. He'd always tell me to draft him so I didn't have to work so hard to keep up. It took me over a year to finally do so (as a triathlete, I kept thinking drafting was illegal and would set me back). What a dummy! Something to definitely try if you're not already doing it.

    Good luck on the 40-miler!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet you're going to be totally fine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 28 miles is a great ride to get ready for the tour! And you're right it's not a race so you can take it at your own pace. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At your own pace... now, that's more my speed! You are going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for upcoming races! 28 miles is a heck of a long time. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you'll do just fine! Glad it's working out for you!

    MCM Mama

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good on you! You'll have a great time, and then tell us all about it in an inspiring way :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 28 miles is awesome! Good luck w/the 40.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL... husband needs sensitivity training :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. After riding with a faster person though, you'll get quicker and then - when you ride with someone else - they'll be struggling to keep up with YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are doing great girlie!

    I am proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that will be a challenge! Good for you! I know exactly what you mean about killing yourself to keep up at someone else's slow or comfortable pace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'm just catching up on all your recent posts. but good luck this weekend, you will do great. And I love the pictures from your last post, so pretty. I love running in those conditions too, 55 and overcast = perfect!

    ReplyDelete