Saturday, December 21, 2013

Light at the end of the tunnel

Today is Winter Solstice, which means we are experiencing the shortest amount of daylight for the year. It's all uphill from here until Summer Solstice; each day will have slightly more daylight. HURRAY! I know I'm not alone in being ready for more daylight/sunshine. And for those of you in the southern hemisphere, sorry to say, your days will start getting shorter.

Yesterday I finally decided which laptop that I wanted.  Since the 'perfect' laptop doesn't seem to be out there for me, I decided that cheaper, lighter, and Win7 were the winning features.  I'll be getting an Acer Inspire S3-6497.  It's not the most recent machine with all the bells and whistles, but it has what I think I need and the price is more palatable.

Son is coming home tonight.  He'll be here for a whole month. Yay! It can't go without saying that both kids are doing really well in college. Son will be graduating this May and already has a full-time job lined up. Daughter is working hard to graduate a year early (aiming for May 2015) and is seriously thinking about pursuing a master degree.  She just completed her 'best ever' semester from a grades perspective. I'm incredibly proud of both of them; their hard work is reaping rewards.

My injured toe is no longer throbbing (that's progress!), but it's still badly swollen and I can't put weight on it. I'm walking in a way that puts extra strain on my calf and woke up at 445 a few nights ago with a horrible calf cramp. Ouch, ouch, ouch! I probably need to be more serious about staying off my feet for a few more days.  I really don't want to experience more calf cramps!

My Galloway timer is sitting on a shelf patiently waiting for the day when I can use it again. Even with the knee and toe issues, I'm still on track to be running again by early Feb. I'm anxious for that day to arrive, but will try to enjoy this downtime as much as I can in the interim.

7 comments:

  1. Am so on the same page about the length of day - this is one of my favorite days of the year but only because I know after this they get longer and lighter... there has been no sunshine here today whatsoever... very dark and dull!

    I'm also looking for a new laptop - have been eyeing up a Toshiba but probably going to wait to see what I can pick up in the January sales!

    Hope your toe gets better soon - looks sore!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your toe gets well soon. When It happened to me I cut a part of my running shoe to keep on running but.... it was an age ago, when I COULD NOT skip any workout (despite this solution I didn't win the Olympics).
    Congrats to the proud mom of 2 wonderful children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited that the days will be getting shorter from here on in. Summer is my most hated season. It's too hot and too humid and all my runs end up with me being a sweaty puddle on the floor. I just try to survive until the weather cools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your toe continues to feel better! I am looking forward to days with longer sunlight too!

    Amy
    Miss Adventures in Running

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having just passed our summer solstice, we're into the downhill stretch until cooler weather...or in theory anyway. In reality it tends to get hotter until at least February! I hope you have a great time with your son visiting and and that your toe continues to improve :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel better, Lisa.. and congrts on your kids doing well.. it's a testament on your parenting skills, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for longer days! And yay for your son coming home! And awesome job to your daughter! Masters...that's a lot of school. :) Hope your toe heals up soon!

    ReplyDelete