Sunday, June 13, 2010

Greek Yogurt & Elbow

Greek Yogurt

A few weeks ago, I decided to get on the non-fat Greek Yogurt bandwagon. On paper, it's a great snack - loads of protein, zero fat, real sugar (but not too much of it), pro-biotics, and calcium. All packed into an individual snack sized container.

I don't recall the first brand that I tried, but it was a big YUCK.

Next I found Oikos brand in strawberry, which I liked a lot. Except for the price tag. It was ~1.69 for a 5.3 oz serving. Yikes.

Then a local health food store had 6 oz servings of Chobani on sale for .99 each. I picked up a couple in several different flavors each: strawberry, pomegranate, vanilla, peach, & blueberry.

The strawberry was too sweet for me straight out of the container, but my daughter likes this one. With some real berries added in (strawberries or blueberries), the flavor is balanced out more to my liking.

My first try of pomegranate was favorable, but since then I've decided that I don't care of the crunchiness of the seeds. I probably won't buy that one again.

I did not like the vanilla when I first tried it. The vanilla flavor is too overpowering. But it's grown on me. I actually enjoy it mixed in with my granola instead of milk and a handful of fresh blueberries.

Peach is hands down my favorite. I like it every way that I've tried it. I like it straight out of the carton. I like it with my granola. I like it with berries. I think I could eat this for breakfast, snack, and dessert and not get tired of it. Just thinking about it is making me want another one..

My husband's favorite is blueberry. I like this one too, but not as much as I like the peach.

Flavors I didn't try were plain, pineapple, and honey. I wanted to try plain, but they didn't have it in the 6 oz containers. Pineapple sounded interesting, but it wasn't non-fat. Honey simply didn't sound like something I would like. I also noticed that it had more sugar & more calories than the other flavors that I tried.

Elbow

I ended up going to urgent care this morning because my elbow was hurting more quite a bit more than I thought it should. It was also a bit swollen. They took an x-ray and it doesn't look fractured. However, the wound had gotten infected, which is what the doctor thinks was causing the tenderness and swelling. They cleaned it up again, wrapped it, and put me on antibiotics (Good thing I have all this Greek Yogurt on hand to replenish the good flora). Tomorrow morning I need to unwrap it, clean it up, and wrap it again. I'm really hoping that the doctor is right, and that my elbow will feel better when the antibiotics kick in.

21 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    Wow, bummer about your elbow. I hope that it gets better soon. I felt the same way you did about the first time I tried the non-fat Greek Yogurt. It took me some time to get used to and now I like it:) Mmmm, I love peach too! Have a great week Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat the plain Fage 0%. I stir in fresh berries, granola, or a drizzle of honey. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang! You really did a number on that elbow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! I hope your elbow gets better soon.

    Chobani is my favorite Greek yogurt. I like the vanilla with fresh berries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad it isn't a fracture and hopefully the meds work quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't readily have the Greek stuff available where I am ...I just get the StoneyFields organic yogurt. It is good and I dig their whole philosophy.
    Sending good vibes to the elbow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear that your elbow is giving you so much grief! Good news that it is not broken, but I hope it feels better ASAP.

    LOE Greek yogurt, though we don't seem to have Chobani here. The only brand I can find is Liberte and it is only available in 1 or 2 of our stores and is always sold out! Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Urgent care and yogurt go together. Sweet Pea had an imbedded wood tick last week.. and antibiotics of course... so we are on yogurt too.
    Seems like strawberries and peaches are a couple of fruits that are worth buying organic, so I don't choose yogurt with non-organic stawberries and peaches.
    Oh, best healing wishes for the elbow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am hit or miss on yogurt. I get in a habit of eating it and then fall of the bandwagon for a while. Everything in moderation, right?!

    I hope the antibi's kick in for you quickly! No fun being injured!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the plain, preferable Trader Joe's brand. I just mix it with fruit or maple syrup.

    Your poor elbow! Hope it heals quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the Fage too, but I am a 2% girl. I like a little good fat! I too mix it with granola and fresh berries. Sometimes I like with sliced peaches and a little honey and ground flaxseed.

    Sorry to hear about your elbow, but glad you got some good care for it. Heal up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's no good about your elbow :( THANKS for the very helpful comment on my blog ((((HUGS))) yes I want to do this maarathon so am going to stfu and htfu and get on with it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I would like Greek Yogurt... I just can't stand the taste.. any brand :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's too bad about the infection, but you're right, good thing you have the probiotics to even out those antibiotics. Guess you'll just be biotic! Which is almost "bionic" as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't tried Greek Yogurt yet. I'm scared to, though I don't know why. I tend to like most health foods.

    When I finally get the courage, I hope it will be like sushi. Something I avoided for a long time, but discovered I loved ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to try Oikos, stuff I have tried so far isnt good

    I hope the elbow heals fast

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sorry to hear about your elbow! Get well soon! I have avoided greek yogurt just because of the cost factor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love plain chobani mixed with granola. The granola gives it just a little bit of sweet, which is nice. But I noticed the last time I was at the store they didn't have it in the 6 oz container either. I hope they're not phasing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh, I really wish I liked yogurt. Sounds so good for you (but I can't stomach dairy products well).

    Hope the elbow is better soon!

    ReplyDelete