Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Elbow Saga continues...

Tuesday morning I got a call from the Urgent care clinic. Upon further review of my x-ray, the radiologist discovered a non-displaced fracture at the radial head. I was told to see an orthopedic asap.

Got in this morning. Ortho doc explained that when you move your forearm, turning your wrist over, the radial head must rotate within the joint. A fracture reduces this movement, causing problems with extension, as well as forearm pronation and supination. I need work on these movements so that I don't lose mobility. If it heals improperly, mobility is gone for good. That would be bad.

No cast or sling or surgery required. I consider that to be a good thing.

No swimming, no cycling, no weights. Take it easy with the arm and just work on mobility.

Running technically okay, dog walking not so much. But he stressed that taking it easy so that it heals properly is very important. Damaging it further would be a bad thing.

I'm supposed to go back in a few weeks. Until then, I guess I'm on injured reserve...

19 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    Well, at least you don't have to have surgery:) Just do what you are told...take it easy and work on the mobility! Hopefully you will be ready to roll soon:) This is good news! Take care Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate IR but at least you have a recipe to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer Lisa! I am glad that you don't have to be casted or slinged but it is still frustrating. Take care! You will be back in action very quick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oye, but I'm glad that you don't require surgery!!!

    Hang tough and do what you can....take great care.

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the positives are GOOD positives, but still sucks. Sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah!!

    At least you can still walk and run. Hold the leash in the other hand?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear. That's a real bummer but I guess I don't need to remind you to do as the doctor told you. The consequences would be just too bad.

    Sending healthy thoughts for speedy and uncomplicated healing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad they found it! Now we can work on getting you back to 100%. I prescribe lots of basking in the sun and fruity drinks with umbrellas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YIKES! I'm lad you're taking care of it and doing what you need to do to ensure proper healing. Here's hoping that happens quickly... I know you will be going stir crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch!

    Sending healing thoughts your way! I hope it heals quickly, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will come as little comfort, but I have a heard a break is better than soft tissue damage. Like I said, little comfort. I hope you have a speedy recover though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you have a very knowledgeable doctor! I hope the recovery comes swiftly and gracefully
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about the fracture! At least it doesn't require anything like surgery, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh! When it rains it pours.
    I hope it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. BUMMER!

    Glad that you don't need surgery, but sad that you're broken :-(

    Make your husband walk the dog from now on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you don't have to have surgery and that they figured something out before you did lose mobility.
    I second Aka Alice - make hubby walk the dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete