Friday, June 11, 2010

Good thing I wasn't chewing gum...

You know how some people can't 'walk and chew gum' at the same time? Well apparently I have trouble with the simple act of walking. Who knows what would have happened if I had complicated matters by trying to chew gum too...

I woke up early Wednesday morning to give time to do a repeat of the hill gallowog from Sunday before work. I was out door at 6:00 with Bandit in tow. We had just completed a run segment and were slowing down to a walk.

When out of nowhere, I was attacked by a speed bump! Okay, maybe "attacked by" isn't the right phrasing. Perhaps "surprised by" is more accurate.

Next thing I knew, I was going down...and man oh man, that asphalt was unkind upon impact...

So, I picked myself up, dripped blood back to home, and proceeded to clean up my newly acquired road rash.

The worst of it is on my left elbow, where is where I took the bulk of the impact. I have a very impressive 2 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch gash/wound. It's rather disgusting looking and still painful. I'm expecting a scar to match the one I have on my right knee from a swing set related injury as a kid.

I'm taking a few extra days off so this can get a good start on the healing process.

On the bright side, this new elbow injury has distracted me completely from the problems I've been having with my left knee!

Be safe out there. There may be a speed bump hiding in wait to attack YOU!

25 comments:

  1. Attack of the speedbumps! Aack!

    Heal soon girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch!!! I hope it heals up and you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont forget potholes, they attack too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh the nerve of that speedbump! Happy, speedy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i did this running one morning! it was even painted bright yellow, so i just assumed I was running too damn fast and slowed down

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn Speedbump!
    I hope you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! I hope it gets better quick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is terrible. I hate when they pop up out of nowhere. Get beter soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry, but I snorted my coffee at the visual of the speed bump attacking you.

    Hope your elbow heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah! That's happened to me before as well since I don't pick up my feet much. Hope the wounds heal up fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suppose it's sort of a rite of passage. (Was that the right rite?) I guess at some point we all fall and get a really good road rash. I did just that earlier this year when a crack in the pavement just jumped out at me... It's a badge of honor. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you kicked that nasty speed bump and taught it lesson for jumping up and attacking you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch! I'm sorry about the crazy speedbump attack! Oweee!

    I was riding my bike last night, with a light, and just missed a huge crater.

    I hope your wound heals well! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Show off those battle scars! Speedbumps are crafty that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heal up quickly, both, knee and elbow!

    I was in hospital getting a wound dressed after a bike crash a few years ago and the nurse said "Oh, this is going to leave a scar." and I replied "Never mind, it might look better than the scar that was underneath."

    Scars are sexy and good to show off at a later date. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heal up and get back out there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. those speed bumps can come out of nowhere! i did this once with a crack in the sidewalk - my elbow is still a little funky sometimes (and makes me wonder if i cracked the bone or something). i also ran into a tree once, but didn't get any scrapes. what is with all these obstacles? :)

    hope you heel quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. good spelling lindsay.... *HEAL* of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. YOu know, you just can't trust a speed bump, they will get you every time. I'm sorry you got injured. I hope you will heal quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've had cracks in the road get me too. It happens. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. OUCH! I had a curb grab me recently when walking. I hope all heals up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would definitely go with "attacked" by the speedbump! Heal up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahhh missed this post! Glad your elbow has been treated - better safe then sorry with bones and cuts.

    As for speed bumps - that is a paid of swear words in my dictionary!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. saw you pic posted on fb, just catching up on what happened! OUCH!!

    ReplyDelete