Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Logic vs. Heart

Husband reminded me that on Sunday, 11-Feb, there will be a little local race called the Sweetheart Run. They have both a 5K and a 10K course. I have to make a decision, enter the 5K or the 10K?

He says "Do whatever you want. I'll run too."

Now, if I let Logic rule my decision, it would clearly be the 10K. What was supposed to be my first 10K turned into a snowy 8K. Also, a 10K is more aligned with my goal of doing an Olympic distance triathlon.

On the other hand...

Husband and I entered this as a team last year and ran the 5K. It was my first chip-timed event. Ever. Yeah, I'm THAT new at this. While Logic tells me to run the 10K, Heart suggests that I run the 5K to see just how much I've improved in a year's time. And I can probably keep up and run with Husband for about half the 5K distance...how cool would that be?!?! Afterall, it *is* called the Sweetheart Run.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

What do you think?? Should I follow Logic or Heart on this one??

9 comments:

  1. Do the 5k with hubby and see how much you've improved from last year. It will be a good boost to the self image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really tough one. I could make a case for both sides but I think go with the 5k and run with hubby - how fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have to vote 5K, too. See how far you've come in just a year, I bet last year you wouldn't have even considered the 10K. Save that one for next year, or maybe just run an annual 5K as an anniversary race of your running career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to do a few of the same races every year to compare times from previous years. It makes for concrete evidence you've improved, especially if it's ran on the same course and similar weather conditions. Therefore I'm now the 4th to cast my vote for the 5k. You can always do a 10k in a few weeks somewhere else. This is your special sweethart race with the hubby. Good luck and run your "heart" out, but save some for the husband!. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Follow your heart! whether that's 5K or 10K. Which ever, tell hubby to stay with you!! and have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The one that would be more fun for you. That's very sweet that this was your first race last year. My hubby ran Bay to Breakers (SF 12k) with me in 1997 and now refuses to run at all! I think our running days together are over...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heart. All the way on this one. Run fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always try to follow my heart. I think it's a win win situation though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Follow your heart - you can always jog the course backwards after you get done to get a better workout.

    ReplyDelete