Saturday, January 13, 2007

How much is that doggy in the window?

Yesterday I did my ride and run workout that was supposed to be today with intentions of doing my swim workout from yesterday today.

This morning, however, I did not get my swim. Instead, I went across town to a dog shelter to look at a specific dog per the request of my husband.

I guess we're officially in the market for a new dog. If you've followed my blog for a while, you might recall that we said goodbye to the last of our three old dogs this past November. I really miss Charky, Bosco, and Boots. It was hard watching each of them get old and frail at the end of their lives (at ages 14, 16, and 13 respectively). I wasn't sure I wanted to go through that again, but time heals all wounds and now we're ready to look for another furry friend.

It's not easy finding a new pet. For us, the dog can't be too big or too small; 40-60lbs would be good. It has to get along with our two cats. One cat would like to play with a non-agressive dog, the other just wants to establish boundaries and just keep her distance. A young dog would be great (7-24mo); we'd prefer no babies or older adults. In my mind, a running partner would be awesome. Most of all, it has to be an affectionate and friendly animal.

Well, that particular dog didn't seem like it would work out, nor did the other few dogs we looked at. I eventually became overwhelmed and gave up for the day. It broke my heart to leave empty handed, not knowing the fate of the dogs we passed up.

Sigh.

6 comments:

  1. I know how hard it can be to leave so many deserving animals behind, but you're going to find the perfect companion out there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel too bad, the fact that you are looking in an animal shelter and not some pet store is a testimony of your love AND it means one less animal out on the streets pretty soon.

    My parent's dog is right at the brink himself. There's fliud in his old lungs and he does not look comfortable at all. It looks like we will be putting him to sleep soon... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you find the "doggy" you will know it. A feeling or connection.

    Make sure it is the right feeling. I have 2 crazy dogs, now I have the feeling of choas in my household.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the loss of your dogs - we also lost one last Nov who was age 14 (he had been a pound dog) and still have another one age 10 (whom we adopted from someone). We might try to adopt our next one from Guide Dogs for the Blind although they have a long waiting list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting a dog is always tough, especially after you just lost one. But, after a while the new one establishes his or her "territory" on your life as strong as the old one. Good luck finding the right match.

    We did have some friends who did the Guide dogs for the blind like Brenda suggested, that seemed to work pertty well for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THat is so sad...I agree it's hard to leave empty-handed from the shelter. But your dog will come to you soon.
    Good luck... ;-)
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete