- Watched my kids grow up before my eyes. At age 40, they were 11 and 13. Both were in middle school. One was newly a teen. At age 49, they are 20 and 22. Both are in college. One is graduating this year! The other is engaged!
- Experienced the loss of both my father (2009) and my mother (2014).
- Celebrated a 20th wedding anniversary, and am now preparing to celebrate a 25th.
- Lots of family vacations throughout, but started vacationing just with Husband more frequently as the kids have gotten older.
- Experienced the loss of one old dog and then another and then another. Eventually added a new cat to the family, then a new dog, and another dog. One cat was constant throughout this period.
- Learned to swim!
- Bought a bike. And then another bike.
- Became a triathlete, runner, and cyclist.
- Completed over 75 run/cycle/tri events thus far after having completed fewer than five in the entire decade prior.
- Became a part of the community of weekend athletes. Started Blogging. Joined a run group. Made new friends.
- Worked in the same organization in the company, but held different positions and gained new skills.
- Received some fairly significant recognition at work; also won an iPad in a work-sponsored contest.
- Traveled outside the US a handful of times for work.
- Taught classes/workshops at work and now am taking graduate classes for myself.
- Enjoyed two sabbaticals, a benefit we get every 7 years.