Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Out with the Old

December Tally
  • 1 nasty back spasm
  • 7 chiro sessions
  • 7 unplanned rest days
  • 16.5 miles walking
  • 10.0 miles running
  • 13 yoga sessions
  • 1 4-day trip to Chicago/Deerfield

Thoughts
  • It's hard enough to stay on the fitness bandwagon in December without a back spasm that knocks one out for the better part of a week.  I didn't totally give up though. I can only do what I can do, right?
Plans for January
  • Back on the fitness bandwagon.  The January goal is 2 per week running, 5 3 per week yoga, 3 per week fitness walking. [edited because I realize that 5/week yoga isn't going to happen.  3/week is more reasonable]
2012 in a Glance
  • High-lights
    • Travel:  Way more travel than usual this year.  Trip to Grand Cayman, Trip to Washington DC, Trip to San Francisco, Trip to Indiana/Ohio, Trip to Kauai, Trip to Italy, Trip to Chicago/Deerfield.
    • Fitness:  Not many races, but steady progress and lots of fun.  And I ended the year weighing less than I did when it started.  
    • Immediate Family:  Daughter went on mission trip to Haiti during spring break, graduated high school, moved on campus, and started college.  Son landed an internship over the summer in CA and continues to do well in school, now in his junior year at Cal.  Husband & I went on sabbatical.  
    • Visits with Extended Family:  Husband's parents came down for Daughter's graduation. Saw members of my family in Ohio during August. Saw members of Husband's family during December in Deerfield/Chicago.  Also his Dad came down for Christmas.
  • Low-lights
    • Still dealing with the chronic issue with my left knee.  It has been particularly problematic during travel, but I'm able to manage it fairly well at home. Need to avoid stairs, and excessive walking.  Also need to run shorter distances, preferably on dirt.
    • Husband's youngest sister's diagnosis of stage 4 metastasized breast cancer.  :-(
All in all, 2012 was a pretty good year.  Not sure it's possible, but I'm going to try to have an even better 2013.  Bring it on!!

Oh...and  I kicked off the New Year with 4 miles on the trail with my running partner.  Off to a great start!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. She will be in my thoughts.

    I think you did pretty well in December considering the travel and the back pain, which I know from experience sucks.

    I hope 2013 brings you many more highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending lots of positive energy to your family! Here's to a healthy and happy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 miles on trails is a great way to start off the new year! Good call.

    I have an aunt who is fighting breast cancer right now too. Not stage 4, I think she's going to beat it. so sorry for the husband's sister. that's not cool at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on a great 2012! Can't wait to follow you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Years, here is to a great 2013

    I will keep your sister in law in my thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about the back spasm, but you are right, the effort counts. you tried your best and that all what matters. I hope 2013 will be an awesome year for you!!!

    ReplyDelete