Saturday, June 28, 2008

When life give you lemons

Admittedly a tired old cliche, but it works for me right now. I've had to find ways to 'make lemonade' while I'm benched.

Here's the deal. I really want to put ths injury behind me for good. So while cycling isn't on the banned list, I've decided to stay off my bike at least until next week. Here's what I've been up to:

More Swimming -I've been to the pool 4 times this week. Something cool happened, too. I met some guy who recognized that I was working on Total Immersion techniques. The next day, he brought me the video and a few articles on kicking from the hips.

Techno Geek Stuff - I spend all day yesterday trying to get info transfered from my old laptop to the fast shiny new one and debugging issues that I was having with wireless, email, etc. I'm pretty much up and running on the new one now. Then I loaded about 2.5 GB of music onto my laptop and into my new Sansa player (4 GB for $45 - thank you, Woot). I also have some research in the works regarding cell phones and carriers; that's the next upgrade on my list.

Event and Training Planning - Assuming my pain is gone for good in a few weeks, there are a few more events in September that I'd like to sign up for (Half Mary & Sprint Tri). I also have an Oly at the end of that month. I've had to rework my training plan, but I think it's still doable.

Have a great weekend everyone; don't forget to make lemonade with whatever lemons life throws your way!

23 comments:

  1. I have not heard that saying before! I feel I've missed out!!

    Great that you're being so positive - keep it up!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. Being benched get be a downer. Good for you for staying positive about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In 2006, I had an injury that took me out of commission for almost a year. In that year, I focused on swimming and started using TI.

    It was the best year of swimming that I've ever had. ALthough I was frustrated at the time, time in the pool was WELL SPENT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job adapting to change. It nice that guy brought you the total immersion stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you are making the best of your situation! Nice job on getting in the pool! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you are making the best of your situation! Nice job on getting in the pool! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am absolutely adopting that as my slogan 'o the day (J and Noddie are vomiting everywhere, ack!)
    How cool about the pool bloke giving you the video! So kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is turning out to be a "good" thing. Remember last month when you were bummed about your swimming stats? Well, looks like this month will be a good one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A bunch of triathletes, including me, are heading to Lake Cochiti on Friday, July 4th. Bring the famdammily. Swim. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. man that's what lemonpositive living is about huh?

    being fluid and flexible like you are with reworking your training/event planning and not just saying SCREW IT :)


    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  11. One thing I have learned over the years with running and triathlon is that you have to be flexible. It sounds like that's what you're doing, and focusing on other areas of life that get neglected when we are wrapped up in constant training. I always wonder, eventually that is, if some sideline worked out for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think of anyone out in blogland, you're the one who excels at making lemonade! You're alwasy so positive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking what Jess said. Great way to make the best of this situation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luv woot!!

    Look at all that swimming. That's a lot of days in 1 wk. Good for you!!!

    You're sooo positive! It's great and hopefully it will rub off on me some.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how positive you are about using your injury time to be productive! Hope the video and the articles you got are useful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard that Total Immersion book is THE book for swimming techinques. If I ever get around to doing some tri's, thats the book I'm buying.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love Woot!

    Do whatever it takes to keep your mojo going while you're benched. Sounds like you've got a good plan. I keep hearing about the Total Immersion thing, I need to check it out. I just did my first tri a few weeks ago and can't wait to do another!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Putting some more time in the water is a great thing...imagine how much stronger you will be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's what's so great about the tri community - everyone is so supportive. I've tried some TI techniques before and I think they're pretty effective.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hang in there, just keep active and before you know it - you'll be all healed up.

    lemonade for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Or at least have some vodka handy to dull the pain !..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thats a great attitude.. enjoy the variety in workouts and I hope you recover soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the reminder. You ARE good at this. Sometimes I am still trying to figure out what the damn lemonade is. Maybe I'll run it by you sometime and you can coach me on the recipe. :D

    ReplyDelete