Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fitting it all in

My focus right now is on evening out my training and the first thing that I need to fix is swimming. I'm going to have to do something different because I just can't get my body out of bed early enough to get it done before work.

Yesterday, I went to the pool at 7pm, arriving just as a water aerobics class ended. That worked out pretty well. I'll try that again next week. A few weeks ago I showed up at the gym Sunday morning right when it opened and made it home in time to get to church. I may try that this week as well.

I was hoping to go to Cochiti with GeekGirl, Cindy, and others tomorrow, but my work schedule isn't going to allow that to happen this week. I'm going to have to try to get to the pool early instead. Sigh. This is a bummer, because I need OWS practice for Elephant Man.

Once I get the swimming figured out, I'll put some effort back on running if needed, but I think that will happen naturally. My running was down last month mostly due to injury/illness, not because I was having trouble fitting it in.

Speaking of running, I was tagged by Jen in Budapest. I'm not going to tag anyone, but if you want to be tagged, consider it done.

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?
Running? What running? I have only been running for a few years.

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience?
See my last post for the worst. My best was probably my first 5K. Even though I was one of the very last finishers, it felt so incredibly awesome to cross the finish line for the first time.

3. Why do you run?
The short version is "simply because I can."

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?
Know what your goal is for each training session and pace accordingly.

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.
People seem to be surprised to discover that I have a hummingbird tattoo on my upper left shoulder. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal, but whatever.

18 comments:

  1. I'm still struggling with my transition to a morning peep... I'm just so LAZY in the morning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting up at 5:30 is tough...but getting home after work and relaxing (not having to wrry about working out) makes it worth the while!
    After this race I am going to focus on swimming for a while too...rest my knees!
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job fitting in your pool workouts...those are the hardest to find time to squeeze in, I think.

    We're not doing Cochiti tomorrow anyway...but I hope we can definitely start trying to make Fridays a regular "Cochiti day" here soon! After Buffalo Springs, I will need to start focusing on the Elephant Man, too!

    I like your hummingbird tattoo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The morning transition is a rough one. I swim at 5am in the morning which translates to a wake up time of 4:30...it really sucks! But with my kiddos is the only time that I can squeeze it in.

    From your past experience, it sounds like you have it figured out...I hope the two days a week of swimming works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that figuring out the training for three separate sports is one of the most interesting/challenging parts of triathlon. It's not so easy to even things up - but it sounds like you're doing a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hard to squeeze in all three! You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck getting more and more used to early am's and getting in the pool...

    the beauty of the early am swim or run.is having that relaxing time at the coffee shop, reading the paper before getting on with the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've noticed that if you can just drag yourself out of bed for about 3 weeks then it suddenly gets much much easier...mind you I swim at lunchtime LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason I CAN picture you with a tat but I wouldn't have guessed it to be on your shoulder. Was this from when you were a younger or did you do it recently? (if you don't mind me asking, of course :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lisa. I hate these tag things but I was obliging. Glad you actually put a stop to it gracefully. Kind of like those annoying emails that get circulated. Anyways, thanks for doing it. :D

    Your tattoo sounds cool. Have a great week!

    JEn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not usually a morning person at all. I stay up too late usually. You are doing very well on your workouts. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once you get swimming figured out, tell the secret to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a tatoo? what? JK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A humming bird - how cool! Does it represent anything?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for reminding me that I have a tri in less than 2 months that I have not trained for at all. Oh well, after Alaska.

    Hummingbird must be pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you Lisa, you'll get the swim thing fiqured out. I start Tri training this week, I need to figure out how to organise my time!

    As for the tatt, I'm getting closer to getting mine! Whoot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You don't seem like a tatoo sort of gal, so maybe that's why it's surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yup for some reason ppl think tatoos or marks on ur body is shocking. esp if its forbidden in ur religion
    n i hate it

    ReplyDelete