Sunday, February 11, 2007

Want some cheese with that?


Get some cheese, I've got plenty of whine.

Today is the Sweetheart Run and as it turns out I am DNS, and not very happy about it.

I actually set the alarm, got up, made coffee, and started getting my running clothes out. Husband sat up in bed and asked "What on earth do you think you are doing?!?!"

I responded "Getting ready. I want to go for it."

"That is a very bad idea," was his response. Then he proceeded to lecture me on various points including the fact that I woke up coughing again in the middle of the night. And reminded me that I only managed to get up and move around the house slowly for about 8 hours yesterday before becoming exhausted and heading back to bed. And how nothing good will come from running this race while having bronchitis. And it's just a little local 5K that we were doing for fun, nothing important in my race calendar, and it should really be no big deal if we miss it. And will I please slow down take care of myself for one more day so that I can get healthy.

"Okay, fine, I get it. Go back to sleep, I'll just sit here and sulk."

For some reason I have always had a hard time with missed opportunity. But I guess he's right. And if it were anybody else, I would tell them the same thing.

Now, would you pass me the cheese? And my inhaler? And the cough medicine? Thanks.

13 comments:

  1. Mmm...I love cheese...and w(h)ine! Sorry to hear about your DNS...but your husband was probably right! Us runners can become quite selfish and not think about our bodies until it is too late...take me for example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hubby was right (don't tell him I said so :). You need to get well. Bronchitis is serious stuff. Get better, there will be plenty more races this year. It's still early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad, but you know..there are tons of other races out there to finish when your healthy..good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee, hee! Sorry to laugh, but you did put it in a funny way. I 100% endorse hubby's good opinion. Full recovery = strength.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband had good advice, and it's probably good you listened.

    So many of us tend to ignore good advice, it gets in the way of making really dumb mistakes that haunt us for a long time.

    Keep up the recovery and you'll be back out there in no-time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GUH!!! I'm frustrated just reading this! It's one thing to choose not to do a race but to be sick and miss it is entirely a different matter! Get better soon! And know that at least your next race will be amazing (as I suspect today's would have made you feel absolutely and completely awful!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another li'l ole 5K will be along in no time. Take it slow and steady! Smart hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lisa, thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your encouragement today! the race was actually a lot of fun.

    your hubby is right. i went against my husband's advice and ran a race a few years back when i was recovering from being sick. my rationale was that i didn't cough when i was running - so it had to be ok. long story short, i ended up with it in my lungs and a terrible case of pneumonia. let your body heal and you will come back even stronger! next year, you'll rock that 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even I must admit, that it is better to get some rest sometimes. Just rest up for your important races. It's okay to sulk about it.

    Go get'em next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just like Shelley said, there will be more races. Fist step is to get back to racing form.

    Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Lisa, first time to your blog (I think!). I know how you feel, but you really won't do yourself any favors running with bronchitis, at least outside. Give yourself a chance to clear up some. Sit on a bike or swim or something if you feel the need to work out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lot of times not racing (or even training) is the harder choice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Momo got pneumonia and I got pleuritis from going too hard with bronchitis, is that not enough evidence for you to realize your husband was right? Ha, just don't let him know. I'm glad you stayed home, I know it was hard

    ReplyDelete