Yep, another year older.
I wanted to do something cool like ride 42 miles, but it became apparent that wasn’t going to happen when I got sick, so I'm posting 42 things about me instead.
Oh, and I’m on my way to the airport for a business trip. Not my first choice on how to celebrate a birthday, but I figure resting and recovering on the plane beats a day in the office.
Here's the list:
1) Since the year 2000, I’ve had opportunity to travel to France, Ireland, China, India, Australia, and New Zealand
2) I got really sick after visiting India. For a year I was in pain. The bacterial infection I picked up in India triggered an autoimmune disorder with a myriad of symptoms. I struggled with daily activities during this time.
3) It’s in remission now! A renewed appreciation of my health is what inspired me to TRI
4) I started running in August 2005
5) I often pray (praise and thanksgiving) when I’m running
6) I learned to swim in December 2005 - I was excited when I swam all the way across the pool for the first time.
7) I bought a road bike in February 2006
8) I completed my first Sprint Triathlon in August 2006
9) I’m hooked. This year I have Olympic distance in my plans
10) I’m not very fast
11) I’m okay with that; I finish with a smile anyway.
12) When I’m *really* frustrated, I say things like “Golly Neds!”, “Good Golly!”, or “Oh Flip!”
13) Several years ago, I tried to drive my car, with mountain bikes mounted on the roof rack, into my garage
14) Couldn’t figure out what kept the car from entering, backed up and tried again – then realized what I had just done
15) I think I might have said all three phrases that day
16) Don’t take it personally if I don’t recognize you if you wave while I’m out running or cycling
17) I wear glasses…but not during sports
18) I don’t have depth perception
19) I’m afraid of heights
20) I had a rollover car accident when I was in college (it wasn’t my fault, though)
21) I don’t like to drive
22) I don't wear make-up
23) I’ve broken the pinky finger on my left hand 3 times
24) I’m left handed
25) I’ve been married for 17yrs to a wonderful man and my best friend.
26) Before meeting him, I melted two tea-kettles by forgetting about them on the stove
27) He taught me how to cook and use the kitchen timer. And now I have a tea-kettle that whistles when the water is boiling so I don’t forget about it for too long.
28) We went skiing on our honeymoon
29) I discovered that I don’t particularly like skiing
30) We have two teenagers
31) I discovered that I don’t particularly like teenagers…just kidding…but they sure know how to turn daily life into an endurance sport
32) I worked part-time for 7 years when they were little
33) I decided to take up piano lessons in 2002 with my daughter
34) She plays much better than I do
35) I’m allergic to tree nuts…and tetracycline…and have large localized reactions to bee stings
36) I have a degree in Electrical Engineering with a specialization in microelectronics.
37) For the past ten years my job hasn’t required the use of either
38) I don’t drink soda
39) I drink waaayyy too much coffee
40) I quilt for charity (Project Linus) in my ‘free time’
41) I truly feel incredibly blessed and thankful for all the good things in my life
42) Today I turn 42 and its gonna' be a great year!!