Tuesday, April 15, 2014

blogging under the influence again

Today was oral surgery day. I'm too wobbly to walk unassisted because the anesthesia is not fully out of my system, but I'm still numb and not yet the heavy duty pain meds, so i think I can piece together a somewhat coherent post.

The details are a little foggy, but I know I ended up with more bone loss in my jaw than the reconstructive dentist anticipated so what was supposed to be the permanent bridge was put in only temporarily for now.  In a few weeks, he'll remove it and take a new impression post healing so that the lab can alter it to work better with the jaw for a better fit. Once he's happy with the fit, it will go in permanently.  That means at least three more dental appts for this: post operative check up, bridge removal and the old temporary put back in, and then temp removed and the new permanent installed. Those last two will require being medicated again. Ugh.

I've been instructed not to brush my teeth until the post op checkup on Monday. Also to be on all liquid diet until then. Blah. Husband has instructions for changing my gauze and medication as well as details on how/what I'm supposed to eat. I was also instructed not to talk (for how long, not sure).

I think this is going to really hurt once the numbing goes away. Already hurts when I lay my head down, so I'm sitting up for now.

Here's what I'm thinking.  Not happy that it didn't go ideally, but glad there haven't been any complications so far. I knew all along that there was something bad happening in my jaw causing problems, I'm just hoping they got everything out that needed to go so that once this is healed and the bridge is fine tuned, the problems that I've been having that led to this are finally resolved for good.

Also, it's pretty cool that the fake tooth in the center of the bridge was created to go partway down into the root socket. It's kind of a half way solution between a bridge and an implant. I think the point is to promote healing around it in such a way to prevent future issues in my jaw and keep my gums healthy

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I hope the worst of this is behind you. I went thru implant surgery. That was a long, hard journey, but well worth it in the end. Wishing you speedy, painfree healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx. it's a painful, but necessary journey unfortunately

      Delete
  2. Sounds awful. I'm not the biggest fan of the dentist - even though mine is lovely. I hope the pain is manageable for you and everything goes well in the next few appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with this. It doesn't sound fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx. not fun, but necessary. sometimes life isn't fun.

      Delete
  4. Hope that it all feels worth it in the end. I would have a very hard time not talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it will be worth it in the end. not much choice really. either this or a hole in my mouth and the likelihood that my bite would get messed up from teeth caving in toward the hole. sigh.

      Delete
    2. Hope you're feeling better now.

      Delete
  5. Wow - this sounds really tough. Hang in there - I hope the pain subsides quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a challenge that will be worth it at the end but not so great to go through - unfortunately (as you say above) life sometimes has those moments! I hope you recovery quickly and the follow ups go well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! I hope you heal fast. The no talking would just kill me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say is "OUCH!".... Oh and "heal real fast".... Hope this didn't spoil your Easter too mucj (liquid Easter eggs?)

    ReplyDelete