Friday, August 12, 2011

Tale of Two Rides

I had an interesting discovery this week. After the whole stem valve / floor pump incident on Wednesday, I got a new floor pump, replaced the rear tube, and rechecked the front tire pressure. I found it to be low by 30. Thought that was odd, because I had successfully added air to the front (I thought) just the day before.

Took my bike out on the same ride as earlier in the week. This is is my standard 10 mile, double hill loop that I like to do mid-week.

EXHIBIT A - THE ROUTE PROFILE

Yesterday I had a great ride. My splits seem to be all over the map, but that has to do with the profile more than anything. In this graph, I have it broken down to two mile increments. Just trust me, for me this is a very good result.

EXHIBIT B - A GOOD RIDE


Here is where it gets interesting. I made a graph of my earlier ride on the same route. I haven't figured out how to get my program to keep the scale the same, but what jumps out at me immediately is that the entire ride is roughly 2 mph slower than the good ride.

EXHIBIT C - A CRUDDY RIDE

Yes, there are differences day to day in weather and how I feel and such, but I wonder if maybe, just maybe, the whole stem valve/floor pump thing was a blessing in disguise. What if the gauge on my old pump was significantly off and I've been riding on under-inflated tires all summer? If I find that my rides improve consistently now, then I'd say that is a definite possibility. Time will tell.

7 comments:

  1. Under inflated tires do make a difference, but your speed and endurance is stronger because of all the cycling / running you are doing. Consistence pays off!!

    ps, you are an inspiration too...xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! Those hills are brutal!! I find biking up hills so much harder than running up them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either way, yay for a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the same ride on flat tires to really get more data! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ride, despite that large scary looking hill

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you mean "Good by your standards"? This ride is good by anyone's standards! :-)

    A good floor pump is worth every cent you spent on it. I remember battling this broken crappy pump for months... and what an eye opener it was when I got the new pump! I looove pumping my tires now whereas before I dreaded it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ride on those monster hills!

    ReplyDelete