Sunday, June 5, 2011

Smoky Skies

We've been under an air quality alert since Thursday. Smoke started rolling in on Thursday evening from some wildfires in AZ. At the worst, visibility was poor, there was a light ash fall, and a distinct smell of smoke even in the house. At times it gets much better than that, but it has been hazy all weekend. The alert says that if visibility drops below 2 miles, it is unsafe to exercise outside. At 3-5 miles, they urge folks to use caution. I assume that visibility of >5 miles means everything is considered safe.

All of this smoke caused our run group to cancel for Saturday morning. I've been running with one particular lady who has returned to running after a 2 year break. I noticed that I could see the mountains, albeit not too clearly, and they are a good 12 miles away or so. I figured that meant it was safe. The two of us decided to brave the smoky skies and went out for a 6 mile run. We talked triathlon the entire time. She's thinking of doing the Live.Love.Tri as well. If so, it would be her first. I kind of hope she decides to jump in; it would be great to have a friend to train with.

Now, you know the saying "it's just like riding a bike", right? Where exactly does this saying come from? For me, regaining bike fitness just isn't all that easy. Yesterday afternoon, Husband was heading out for a 20-25 mile bike ride. I wanted to join him, but that seemed way too far for me. I ended up turning around short of 5 miles and logged a mere 9.3 miles for myself and that was plenty. Perhaps it had something to do with the 6 miles I ran beforehand or the smoky skies, but I really think it's a matter of cycling being more difficult for me than the other two sports.

I wonder if "it's just like swimming laps" might catch on. For me, swimming seems to come back much more easily than cycling. Today I was able to completed a 1600 swim. That's twice as far as I went on my first swim (of the return to swimming) last weekend. I also decided to time myself on a 400. My time actually wasn't too far off where it was when I stopped swimming late last summer. If I can knock off 5 seconds per 100, I'll be back to where I was. Not too shabby for having taken a 9 month break from the pool.

11 comments:

  1. I'm jealous that you are comfortable with swimming. Good luck on getting the bike to where you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the lady jumps into the triathlon so you will have someone to train with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic to hear that you're building on the swimming.

    sorry about the fires coming from here - the news just reported that an end doesn't appear to be in sight for the 3 currently burning, and there's a whole string of dry lighting storms in the high country right now (the rain evaporates before hitting the ground). I'll keep my fingers crossed for your air quality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear that the running and swimming are going so well! I wish I were a stronger swimmer, but I think I'd need some more lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to get out today. I was sorry to hear about the fires in AZ. I live in WA state now, but I grew up in AZ, and those fires are burning some very nice scenery I used to enjoy as a kid camping with my parents!
    Good job on the swim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if I managed anything more than 2 laps...it would be nothing short of a miracle. The fires and alerts are scary there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the training. I’m no fan of the bike either. I would swim any day, but bike never again I hope. Luckily my focus is running ultras so no biking in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice swimming

    Now you have me thinking of where did the saying come from

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don't realize what's involved swimming and biking, until you leave it and come back. Then, your muscles let you know without a shadow of a doubt :-)

    Ugh on the smoke! Stay safe out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job getting in a couple of solid workouts despite the less-than-stellar air quality!

    I've never done a tri. I think it would be fun, but the whole bike and swim thing keep me away :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work on the workouts!

    I think biking after running is much harder than running after biking.

    Hope the fires are under control soon! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete