Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday Miscellany


  • I'm currently working on a group project for my graduate class. Let me just say this, if I've learned nothing else in my class so far, I've at least learned that I highly dislike team-based academic projects.  Apparently I'm not the only one.  Most people that I've talked to seem to have the same opinion. 
  • Husband & I are now officially signed up for the Run for the Zoo Half-Marathon.  WooHoo!
  • I seem to be one of the only ones who feels this way, but I love DST.  In fact, I think my body has been on DST for several weeks and now the clock has caught up with me.  I had been getting up at 5am (I don't need to be up until 6) and have been sleeping in the evenings.  Now I'm feeling like everything is the way it is supposed to be. The best is yet to come:  it's now light enough after work to make evening running a possibility!!  If only I didn't have that stinking class sucking up several evenings a week...
  • Got tickets for the 2014 home opener  for my beloved minor league baseball team, the Isotopes.  So incredibly excited, you probably wouldn't believe it. I'm a huge fan and we frequently attend games. The 7 months between the end of the minor league season and the beginning in the fall is painful.
  • Less than 500 calendar days before I hit the rule of 75. Not that I'm counting down or anything...
  • At the moment, I'm on the fence about whether I will continue this graduate program or not. I'm finding it to be incredibly intrusive on my personal life and I'm not sure that I'm getting enough value out of it for my career development.  The plan is to take another class this summer, but at this point I feel it's a coin toss as to whether I will continue on or not.  On a positive note, so far I'm getting good grades.  I feel like I'm a decent student, but maybe this isn't the right program for me?  I'm just not happy about how much I'm actually learning.  There is a whole lot in my current class that I already know. 
  • My last few runs were pretty good.  One was 7.4 miles easy.  The other was 2 miles of intervals with hill work. Schedule calls for a 9.5 mile long run this coming weekend. I'm looking forward to it!

12 comments:

  1. Yeah for Run for the Zoo!
    And, I would have a hard time justifying graduate school too. I would have to see the benefits ($$$).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really beginning to doubt that the value is there for me. I'll finish this class before making a final decision.

      I'm excited about run for the zoo though!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry the graduate class isn't going as well as you'd have liked - and I too hated group projects when I was studying. Ugh. At least you've got the zoo half to look forward to now though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love DST, the days seems so much longer know and I feel much more energetic. Good luck with your long run, you are ready for the zoo half marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Group projects are a big thing in graduate school. I try to limit them to one per class, though, since I never liked them either.

    I think you are asking the right questions -- maybe a program in a slightly different subject area where you don't have as much knowledge already?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My MBA program had tons of group work to simulate the way it is in the workplace. You definitely see who the contributors and slackers are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't have so much experience already in the workplace, I think it would be a beneficial exercise. Instead, that aspect is just aggravating

      Delete
  6. My sons also hated doing team-based assignments at uni. There is always someone who doesn't cooperate. They don't pull their weight or do their share. They don't turn up to meetings. They don't contribute anything useful.They sponge off everyone else. It's a very frustrating and ineffective way to get an assignment done. But having said that, I understand why these assignments are set - to learn to work in a group situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this may be a helpful way to get experience working in teams/groups especially for students without any real work experience. However, my feeling is that for someone with over a quarter century work experience, that aspect is not helpful. I would learn more on my own...

      Delete