Monday, March 7, 2011

If it looks like a duck...

What I want to be doing is training for a half-marathon. What I'm doing instead, is training around a cranky knee. And the realization is starting to hit me. If I can't run long and I can't run on hard surfaces, what makes me think I'll magically be able to run 13.1 on a hard surface come race day?

[yes, I realize some of you have come to this same conclusion already, but I'm still deep in denial.]

Looking at my training last week, I can't help thinking that it looks like 10K training, not half-marathon training (stupid knee):

Tue: 4 miles "steady run"
Thu: 4 miles "easy run"
Fri: 2.2 miles "tempo run" aka "redemption run"
Sat: 5 miles "long run"

Saturday's run was wholly on dirt and my knee was okay. I purposely dialed back on distance to give my knee some recovery time. At the end, I felt like I could go farther. I toyed with the idea of adding extra distance, but I figured it was good to quit while I was ahead for a change.

Next week I'm going to try to run 7. If that doesn't work out for my knee, I may need to seriously reconsider what I'm training for. Perhaps instead of training for a half-mary I should actually be training for a 10K.


While poking around on active.com, I conveniently found a 10K in April on a relatively flat surface. Sounds like the setting for a new PR perhaps? Hmmmm. Thinking about it. Ducks aren't all bad.

8 comments:

  1. I barely run at all anymore...I am on the elliptical most mornings, to keep my fitness up. I run on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and race days of course. I am not getting PR's by any means, but I have found that 'sweet spot' in training to keep my knee pain under control..speed work kills me! I love Wednesdays and Saturdays! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to let go of/change a plan you've focussed on. I'm praying the knee behaves. If not, I know you'll find some way to work around it and new challenges to fulfill. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How frustrating. Alternate plans are good. Best of luck with that pesky knee pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya. My hip is letting me know it is there.
    I'm trying to ignore it (and ice it, Advil it, stretch it, etc.)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My knee held up on my half yesterday...but I have made an appt to get it looked at as it still isn't...right and I am worried about what damage I might be doing to it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. no point really hurting yourself, but disappointing nonetheless. :( QUACK!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't just stick to trail runs, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, not the knee again, Lisa! It's wise to review goals and if you have to change them, so be it. But you never know, it may just be a little niggle...

    ReplyDelete